PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
I smoke pipes exclusively, mostly straight Virginia blends like Newminster 400 and HH Virginia Flake. I haven’t dabbled in cigars before, just some candela cigarillos on my 18th birthday… but I couldn’t be called upon to remember what they tasted like.

I was at my local b&m recently picking up my monthly order of bulk, and browsed through the humidor. The guy walked over, and I told him I’ve heard people rave about cigars, so I wanted to try. He said that based on my pipe tobacco preferences (which were similar to his), he’d recommend the JFR Connecticut. I bought one, and eagerly tried it out.

I didn’t like it. Instant notes of black pepper on the lips, and felt like I just got smacked with a leather book. Surely other cigars are more enjoyable, or people wouldn’t be obsessing over them. Perhaps my palate just isn’t suited for Connecticuts… I was honestly expecting something more like a Black & Mild Wine Wood Tip (which I have enjoyed before), just more refined

I’d like to add one or two cigars to my regular order, so I’d say around the $10-$20/stick would be fine for me. Is there something you could recommend that I may enjoy more? Something not so punchy, and instead more easy-going, and a little sweeter/richer on the palate and retrohale? I almost died retro-haling that JFR Connecticut…

Reactions: kcghost

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I don't smoke cigars all that often, but I have two humidors I restock occasionally.
When I first started out, I liked Acid cigars. I believe the wrapper is flavored, similar to a swisher sweet, where u taste it when it touches your lips.

Reactions: Tongue-Fried

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
2005 or 2015 Ramon Allones Specially Selected (RASS) you can't go wrong.

:ROFLMAO: I'd also add 2007/08 Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas, 2013 Bolivar Royal Coronas, and pre-1998 Punch Punch to that list!

I smoke pipes exclusively, mostly straight Virginia blends like Newminster 400 and HH Virginia Flake. I haven’t dabbled in cigars before, just some candela cigarillos on my 18th birthday… but I couldn’t be called upon to remember what they tasted like.

I was at my local b&m recently picking up my monthly order of bulk, and browsed through the humidor. The guy walked over, and I told him I’ve heard people rave about cigars, so I wanted to try. He said that based on my pipe tobacco preferences (which were similar to his), he’d recommend the JFR Connecticut. I bought one, and eagerly tried it out.

I didn’t like it. Instant notes of black pepper on the lips, and felt like I just got smacked with a leather book. Surely other cigars are more enjoyable, or people wouldn’t be obsessing over them. Perhaps my palate just isn’t suited for Connecticuts… I was honestly expecting something more like a Black & Mild Wine Wood Tip (which I have enjoyed before), just more refined

I’d like to add one or two cigars to my regular order, so I’d say around the $10-$20/stick would be fine for me. Is there something you could recommend that I may enjoy more? Something not so punchy, and instead more easy-going, and a little sweeter/richer on the palate and retrohale? I almost died retro-haling that JFR Connecticut…

I started with pipes a few years ago after 15 years of smoking cigars. I don't find any common ground between the two and tend to like a wide variety of both pipe and cigar tobacco. I don't know that you'll find anything similar to pipe smoking in cigars, IMO. It's a different cultivar of tobacco grown, processed, and cured in a completely different manner.

A classic Connecticut-wrapped cigar seems to have black pepper as a common blend theme as it plays so well against the mild and often creamy & nutty wrapper.

If you're looking for something like a Black n Mild Wine wood tip, maybe just buy those? Your average (or ultra-premium) hand-rolled cigars capitalize on blending different tobaccos from different countries of origin. There are several cultivars in play (various iterations of Corojo, Criollo, Habano, Indonesian, Sumatran, Connecticut, and other varietals that have been crossed and back crossed for flavor and disease resistance.

The only way to learn what you like with cigars is to buy 2 of many different blends. Get a clean Tupperware or jar if you're starting with small amounts of cigars (1 or 2 per month is what you said). Throw a low RH Boveda in there (high 50s, low 60s %RH). Smoke one cigar soon after purchase (allowing it to dry out some if it was over humidified) and the other one several months later.

I'd personally recommend staying away from Acids and cigars blended with pipe tobacco if you want to see what the hubbub is about, though, again, you can get Black n Milds anywhere. I'd also recommend not getting premium cigars, at least at first. There are plenty of good deals under $10, especially if you purchase online. Look to the manufacturers you see mentioned frequently on the cigar "What Are You Smoking" thread here: What Cigar are You Smoking? 2024 :: Cigar Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/what-cigar-are-you-smoking-2024.102475/page-71#post-37055525

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Yeah I seriously started my cigar journey this year and the only way to know what you like is to buy a few at a time smoke them and weed out the bad ones.

Taking recs from here is likely not going to help, youre either going to come across bozo’s who recommend cubans or rare unobtainable cigars or youre going to run into guys who will rec something that isnt even in your wheel house.

Id go online, buy a reasonably priced 5 pack sampler and go from there.

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
Yeah I seriously started my cigar journey this year and the only way to know what you like is to buy a few at a time smoke them and weed out the bad ones.

Taking recs from here is likely not going to help, youre either going to come across bozo’s who recommend cubans or rare unobtainable cigars or youre going to run into guys who will rec something that isnt even in your wheel house.

Id go online, buy a reasonably priced 5 pack sampler and go from there.
You may be right.
If you're looking for something like a Black n Mild Wine wood tip, maybe just buy those?
I like them, I just didn’t know if there were more premium cigars that had the same flavor profile, but were more refined than something sold in literally every gas station in the United States 😂

Reactions: kcghost

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
I like them, I just didn’t know if there were more premium cigars that had the same flavor profile, but were more refined than something sold in literally every gas station in the United States 😂

Then you're looking at flavored cigars. From what I can imagine, flavored cigars by Drew Estate/Acid Cigars might fit the bill. Happy hunting.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I do not know what cigar you tried, but Connecticut wrapped cigars are generally more on the mild side. Leather and black pepper are kind of what cigar smokers like. Cigars are nothing like pipe tobacco. They are more tobacco forward and less flavors of casing and toppings.
That said, maybe just try one of the cigars that made cigars popular over the last couple decades. Macanudo, RyJ, HUpmann Fuente.....
Maybe just try their "regular" or original blended cigars.
These will give you an idea what cigars have to offer before you try more exotic blends. Spicy Nicaraguan cigars have become VERY popular over the last decade, these may not be in you wheelhouse due to their strength and harsher attributes.
You could also try some cigars from Drew Estates. Many of these have floral and other tones. They are kind of the aromatic of the cigar world.....and are immensely popular.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Grab a Sampler, they seem to offer the sticks this way at lower cost.

Neptune has a boat load of Samplers… :)

I just got back into cigars at the beginning of the year and grabbed starting out, the AJ Fernandez 5 Cigar Sampler.

coldsnap888

Lurker
Mar 19, 2023
Pepper is a common note on Nicaraguan cigars, so I would start by filtering those out of the mix (Pretty sure that JFR is a Nicaraguan puro).
The question is do you think you want to try lighter or darker cigars? don't let one bad example turn you away from the wrapper as it almost did for me. My suggestions are try Fuente - Chateau D'Oro wrapper, Casa Cuba - they make excellent products in the Dominican. Ashton Classic would be another easy pick. Macanudo's Cafe Classic should be widely available and taste like an old fashioned cigar (if that's the feel you are going for).
Do you have access to Cubans? The Hoyo Epi 2 is exceptionally good.
All the best!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Pepper is a common note on Nicaraguan cigars, so I would start by filtering those out of the mix (Pretty sure that JFR is a Nicaraguan puro).
The question is do you think you want to try lighter or darker cigars? don't let one bad example turn you away from the wrapper as it almost did for me. My suggestions are try Fuente - Chateau D'Oro wrapper, Casa Cuba - they make excellent products in the Dominican. Ashton Classic would be another easy pick. Macanudo's Cafe Classic should be widely available and taste like an old fashioned cigar (if that's the feel you are going for).
All the best!
+1 for Ashton Classic. A Connecticut wrapper and mild filler. A bit pricy for just trying out cigars for the first time, but they are a good example of a premium but mild cigar

Also try a Montecristo White Series.

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
Cigars are nothing like pipe tobacco. They are more tobacco forward and less flavors of casing and toppings.
That said, maybe just try one of the cigars that made cigars popular over the last couple decades. Macanudo, RyJ, HUpmann Fuente.....
Maybe just try their "regular" or original blended cigars.
These will give you an idea what cigars have to offer before you try more exotic blends. Spicy Nicaraguan cigars have become VERY popular over the last decade, these may not be in you wheelhouse due to their strength and harsher attributes.
You could also try some cigars from Drew Estates. Many of these have floral and other tones. They are kind of the aromatic of the cigar world.....and are immensely popular.
The pipe tobaccos I prefer are like you said: tobacco forward and less (or no) casing. I think this could have been the case of the B&M not being good with suggesting recommendations, or simply I didn’t agree with the specific cigar he gave me (JFR Connecticut). I also think that I wasn’t smoking it right to pull out the proper flavors… I was puffing it, and the smoke was overwhelming; but found that when I smoked the second half of it and just let the lit cigar sit in my mouth and waft smoke, the aroma and retrohale was much mellower and more enjoyable. Still not sure if that’s the flavor profile I prefer, but it may be a start.

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
All the best!
See my response to Sig, it answers a few of your questions. I think this experience was a case of the attendant recommending something that just was either a cheap or “Eh” cigar, or it was just something he personally liked but I didn’t. The funny thing though? My gut told me to grab a maduro for some reason, but he kept saying “Oh those are all spicy and peppery, I don’t think you’ll like those!” I don’t know, that’s just what my gut was telling me in the store, but who knows if I was right or not.

I just know that I enjoy pipe tobaccos that taste like tobacco… earthy, nutty, molasses, and light chocolate-y burleys; and naturally sweet, bready bright Virginias that give notes of hay with a touch of honey. Therefore, I think I would appreciate a cigar that tastes like a nice natural tobacco. I don’t think I can get down with strong pepper or leather tastes (which may be natural cigar flavors, I’m too new at that to know), or highly cased cigars.

I don’t know if I have access to Cubans, I live in the Southern US (North Carolina). What’s the difference in the typical flavor profiles of light vs dark cigars?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Therefore, I think I would appreciate a cigar that tastes like a nice natural tobacco. I don’t think I can get down with strong pepper or leather tastes (which may be natural cigar flavors, I’m too new at that to know), or highly cased cigars.

I don’t know if I have access to Cubans, I live in the Southern US (North Carolina). What’s the difference in the typical flavor profiles of light vs dark cigars?

Pepper and leather are flavors I associate with natural (cigar) tobacco. I'm also not aware of "highly cased" cigars, except for Drew Estate and others of similar ilk that either flavor the tobacco, or else spray a "mojo" sauce on the leaves, which is a cooked-down sauce of boiled tobacco leaves. It helps the burn somewhat, makes cigars such as the Liga Privada produce much more smoke, and supposedly adds a syrupy element to the flavor.

Trying to translate pipe tobacco to cigar tobacco (or vice versa), is fruitless. Different tobacco, grown in different climates, and cured using different methods.

As for dark vs. light, I'd say it more has to do with the filler leaves within. A wrapper is only a small percentage of the overall cigar, and to me, does not influence flavor as much as manufacturers would have you believe.