PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

billinrio

Lurker
Jun 7, 2017
Good morning.
This morning I received an advertisement from Savinelli (attached) for a bent poker shape pipe designed for smoking cigars - specifically cigars from Tuscany. I had never heard of Italian cigars, so I went looking and discovered some interesting things about them - particularly that they're made of Kentucky tobacco, don't require humidification, and are usually cut in half - their Perfecto shape offering the result of thus having 2 cigars, each narrow at the foot end.
I would like to know if anyone has experience using a pipe to smoke a cigar.

Attachments

• Savinelli Tuscania.jpg
    Savinelli Tuscania.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: jvnshr
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Iv seen some folks do it, but I have never myself in a pipe.

I did smoke a box of Toscano extra vecchio last summer though and found them enjoyable. I’ll probably try another box of something this summer from Toscano. I did not cut them in half.

Reactions: Elric

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Cigar pipe smoking:
Every few weeks, I'll cut an inch or so from a smaller ring gauge cigar (40 or so), and smoke it from an Eltang Arne Jacobsen small pipe. The pipe works great for about a 15 minute smoke. I

Toscano pipes:
've seen online pipes for Toscano style cigars. I've wondered how widespread the use of these Toscano pipes are Italy (I keep forgetting to ask Luca at Tobacco Corti!).

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’ve done it when I wanted to smoke every inch of a tasty stick—that box of Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas would be great candidates (your box is about eight or nine years after the famed 99 rating—I’m sure they’re still impressive).

Toscanos are thought of as friendship cigars because you cut them in half and share them. I had one recently and had problems with the draw. They are tasty, though!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
We have a guy at our cigar shop who's them in his corn cob. Says it is pretty good, but for some reason it doesn't appeal to me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
it's pretty alright. I think the best part is you do get to smoke more of your cigar. It does smoke slightly cooler but that's not a big issue with cigars. Some cigars get more of a concentrated flavor but not a really huge difference. Again the big pluses are your fingers aren't going to stink of cigars and you can smoke it down to almost nothing.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I would like to know if anyone has experience using a pipe to smoke a cigar.
I do. Sometimes I put the nub into my cigar dedicated MM Mark Twain

20200510_010523.jpg

And sometimes I would just smoke the cigar that I had rolled

20221011_233855.jpg

I would say that it is absolutely different experience.

I am also a huge fan of Toscano cigars. I have tried Classico, Antico and Extra Vecchio so far. They are smokey, leathery, earthy and woodsy. Pairs well with a cup of coffee.

20220117_154739.jpg20210731_132354.jpg