PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Anyone use a cigar mouthpiece?

While I like the taste of a cigar without a mouthpiece, I also enjoy smoking the short end slowly and down further than I can while holding it with my fat fingers LOL!

So, for me, sometimes I'll add a mouthpiece for the last little bit.

Aside: If time is an issue, and I want a cigar instead of a pipe, sometimes I'll cut the final 2" or so from a 6 or 7" cigar and smoke it for 30 minutes or so in a mouthpiece. Anyone else do this? Just wondering.
Thanks!
kindly
mike

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Anyone use a cigar mouthpiece?

While I like the taste of a cigar without a mouthpiece, I also enjoy smoking the short end slowly and down further than I can while holding it with my fat fingers LOL!

So, for me, sometimes I'll add a mouthpiece for the last little bit.

Aside: If time is an issue, and I want a cigar instead of a pipe, sometimes I'll cut the final 2" or so from a 6 or 7" cigar and smoke it for 30 minutes or so in a mouthpiece. Anyone else do this? Just wondering.
Thanks!
kindly
mike
IMO This is like those rubber lips that people put on their pipes which are like sports bras on a Fiero. Trying to preserve something that is meant to be short-lived is not my thing. But we all have our own sensibilities.

Lastly, no.

giacomo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2018
Massachusetts (South Shore)
Don't use a mouthpiece and never thought about using a toothpick. For me, when the cigar gets stubby, it's time to go. Although Nub cigars are pretty stubby right out of the box.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm smoking twelve little "dog walker" cigars, one at the first of each month this year. This was a sampler I got from Iwan Ries. This month I finished off this month's selection, a Romeo Y Julieta, in an Old Dominion cob to get a few extra minutes out of it before I stubbed it in the ash tray. When it's still tasting good, it is hard to put a cigar out. At first I thought I was just cheap, but I think it is the enjoyment that keeps me puffing.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have one from the late 19th Century/early 20th Century by Colossus Pipe Factory, but, I don't really use it. I gravitate towards larger gauges and they wouldn't really fit even if I wanted to use it. By the time I get to the nub, the cigar's kinda done—too many tars collected at that point. However, I recently popped the nub of a Cuban Bolivar from the '90s in a pipe to smoke every last bit of tobacco.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I've poked a cigar with a pick of some sort to get to the last bits of it. I've never used a mouthpiece, but I like your idea of cutting off a couple of inches and having a quick smoke.

What kind of mouthpiece do you use? A meershaum one?

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Absolutely! Your teeth don’t get a bunch of tobacco in em, your hands smell cleaner and your beard smells cleaner. Also, the flavor is better. I use them whenever I can. Meerschaum one with a nice bit. About $15 with a case.

Attachments

• CF00721B-DEE4-4BB2-B014-EC2E2DCE0190.jpeg
    CF00721B-DEE4-4BB2-B014-EC2E2DCE0190.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 12

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
. . . This month I finished off this month's selection, a Romeo Y Julieta, in an Old Dominion cob . . . . When it's still tasting good, it is hard to put a cigar out. At first I thought I was just cheap, but I think it is the enjoyment that keeps me puffing.
@mso489 - I'm with you on this. Your words, "the enjoyment that keeps me puffing," fits me, too. My only drawback in putting the short end of a cigar in a pipe is that I can't get them to tamp well during those remaining 15 or 20 minutes. Thanks for posting.
kindly
mike

Reactions: mso489

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
. . . What kind of mouthpiece do you use? A meershaum one?
No, I found two cheaper sets (3 or 4 each), one made from wood and the other from some sort of plastic, that span gauges from 40 to 50+. I'm not big on meershaum because I drop stuff or knock it off a counter and don't want to break them.
Thanks for posting.
kindly,
mike