PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Last year, I had one cooler full of my homegrown Virginia get infested. It was under my bed, and I woke up feeling like I was covered in bees. They had eaten up the tobacco to dust, and were crawling through my bed... bitey little fuckers.

I had no idea that I could freeze them to death. I had worried about them getting into the other coolers. But, so far that was the one and only batch to get infected. My humidor was in the room as well as a couple of plastic tubs full of homegrown tobaccos.

But, so far, they only ate up that one batch of reds. So, I guess they had survived the intensive heat of color curing, and only wanted that one type. I keep my Virginias sorted by color and variety, and the rest by variety.

Vacuuming them up and changing the bed was all it took to get rid of them completely... as far as I have seen.
I’m sure your wife was thrilled with all of that! ?

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Is it really the case that freezing the cigars has no adverse effects on the quality of them? I feel like when the cigars start thawing and condensation forms its going to change them for the worse. Could be wrong though.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Is it really the case that freezing the cigars has no adverse effects on the quality of them? I feel like when the cigars start thawing and condensation forms its going to change them for the worse. Could be wrong though.
Freeze then store in fridge for a couple days (or let sit in room if room is air conditioned). Both fridge and climate controlled room will be dry enough to take on any moisture that momentarily condenses on/in the cigar. Again, been doing this for a long time and no issues.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I don't know if freezing has any negative effects or not. I know eating fresh food vs frozen food is certainly not the same. I think having a small "quarantine" humidor to store newly acquired boxes makes more sense. I also haven't found it to be a big enough problem to be concerned about. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.