PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Been smoking more cigars - I was curious if anyone has an air purifier for smoking indoors, and if so, if they really do eliminate the smell?

I've read various things and I'm not sure I'm convinced that they actually do truly eliminate odor (though it seems they do at least help).

Curious as to people's thoughts and what they've used.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Been smoking more cigars - I was curious if anyone has an air purifier for smoking indoors, and if so, if they really do eliminate the smell?
Nope certainly can reduce it a lot. But at least from my experience your wife will know that you smoked in the room. She might be fine with it because it will be a lot less of the smell then without. Also depends on how often you smoke in the same room too.
I've read various things and I'm not sure I'm convinced that they actually do truly eliminate odor (though it seems they do at least help).
I agree.
Curious as to people's thoughts and what they've used.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This question gets asked, and answered, frequently here, so I'll give you the quick answers:

1. Nothing short of removing the smoke will remove the odor. Smoke should be removed as close to the source as possible. Once it mixes into room air, all the room air has to be exchanged with fresh air.
2. The odor can be somewhat covered up with scents, but the non-smoker will not be fooled.
3. Air treatment, such as an electrostatic precipitator, HEPA filtration, ozone and activated charcoal will reduce the odor, but again, not eliminate it. Size matters, and an air treatment system needs to have sufficient capacity.
4. Smoke sticks to things, and is then damned near impossible to remove without serious cleaning.

stink.jpg