PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I had just finished smoke my small Cellini Original and thinking to myself how much I enjoy this particular pipe. Before placing it back on the rack I ran a pipe cleaner down the stem. Ten out of no where the very end of the mouth piece chipped off. Its small and the pipe still functions but you can sure feel that chip. Its almost like having a chiped tooth that dont hurt. How can I fix this? Any ideas?

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I have read that vulcanite pipe stems can be melted back together...although with this chip being at the tip of the mouthpiece that might be inadvisable.

priest

Lurker
Oct 16, 2012
Hey Bailey, I just had the same thing happen to me two days ago. Vulcanite stem (I think) and I chipped the bottom of the end off whilst cleaning the pipe. How'd you end up fixing it?
I'm thinking superglue might work but I'm not sure if it's safe to use? I figure it might give of toxins when smoking the pipe?

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Probably not a way to easily fix it and have it hold. You could put a softee bit on it, smoke it as is or, best case, send it off for a new stem. I have a large Cellini Original Cherrywood and love it. It would be worth a new stem to me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Bummer. I find myself using Gorilla Glue more often these days to fix things. The stuff really holds things well and you can remove any overspread with a small file or knife. Of course there's always the option of a new stem.

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
When using super glue/Crazy glue, you can use charcoal powder as a filler, works great. You can get it at any health food store.

However if you are not use to using super glue, it can be a mess. Just put a softee on it.

priest

Lurker
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the feedback now lads. The pipe is a cheap beginner's pipe (Big Ben, local Dutch brand I believe).

Pipe works fine with the little chip, but it feels awkward in the mouth. Much like TS's experience.
I'll see what I can do with her this weekend. Albeit it might time to look for a new pipe altogether. She's not really worth getting fixed as I bought her for €25,- (roughly $30?) five years ago.

priest

Lurker
Oct 16, 2012
Ah, I just read that Vulcanite's not used in new (especially cheaper) pipes these days. So the stem's probably lucite. I've never heard of Gorilla Glue Papille, I'm actually assuming we don't have that particular brand in the EU. I'm basically torn between using standard issue super glue or melting the chip back on. It's only a small chip really and I don't think it'll be necessary to do any real filling with charcoal. Thanks for the tip though Mike.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
If its only a small chip another thing you can do is to get the files out. File the stem off removing the button and chip. File it back to a thicker part of the stem (You want enough thickness to form a new button) and then shape a new button. You can look at another pipe to figure out the shape as you go. This will be the best/cheapest fix and also give you some practice bringing old/broken pipes back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.