PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Rather than buy in another large bag of ready blended chilli powder I'd like to have a bash as knocking up my own.

I believe I have all the necessary ingredients (cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander, black pepper & white pepper & garlic powder), I just need to know the ratios. I appreciate 10 different folk will offer 10 different recipes so if any recipes are forthcoming then I'll have to average them out.

Not looking for something to take the lining off my tongue, just something for my chilli con carne making, hot and spicy but not scorching :).

Jay.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Sounds like fun. I have a couple brands I like and am used to making chili with them, so I know what I'm getting when I use them over the years. It doesn't have to be hot, and I find most chili powder pretty mild. Get the heat in other ways.

Long way of saying I've got nothing, lol, but admire the effort!

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I make my own. It's always at least 75% dried guajillo peppers, seeded and then roasted with cumin seeds and a seeded chipotle. Grind it all up in a Nutri Bullet with a little corn meal. No coriander seed, but I do use some oregano in the chili itself. Same with garlic, I'll usually cook that in pot with some onion and bacon grease rather than garlic powder.

I usually use leftover smoked beef brisket or chuck roast, but if not then a handful of smoked paprika would go in the mix with the uncooked meat.

jackattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
I don't use powder, I make a liquid. I take a mixture of dried chili's (ancho, guajillo, and arbol are a good place to start) and heat them in a dry pan with cumin seeds until they become fragrant but not to the point where they smoke. You're going to want to de-seed and cut them up a bit first.

Right before they begin to smoke add about 2 cups of water or stock and bring it to a boil. As soon as it boils cut the heat and cover letting the whole mixture steep for at least 10 minutes.

Prepare yourself for the chili gas bomb that will bring everyone to tears.

While it's steeping mix an onion, some garlic cloves, Mexican oregano, and a teaspoon of crushed cloves to a food processor and run until blended.

Add the steeped peppers and liquid to the food processor and blend it all together.

Use that mix for chili or as a braising liquid for taco meat.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
A shot soju or vodka with a good pinch of chili powder. A few shots of that will cure most common cold.

Oh! Chili as in good old American western dish with ground beef and beans. Last time I made a batch, my friends farted for a whole week.

Recipe? No such a thing.

A pound or so of 80% fat-free beef.
A large can of pinto beans.
A large can of those big brown bean.
A bunch of cilantro.
A godly amount of minced garlic.
All sorts of red pepper powders. Cayenne, you just want a good pinch. Other from pinch to teaspoon depending on you mood.
A large yellow onion.
A large can of crushed tomatoes.
A good tablespoonful of tomato paste.
Two jalapenos peppers, seeded and chopped big enough to see.
Salt.
Black Pepper.

Garnish: Chopped onion, fresh chopped cilantro, chopped jalapenos, and hand shredded cheddar.

In a big pot, add some oil and ground beef. About half way, add all the peppers. Once we'll browned, add onion. Cook till onion is well sweated. Add beans and garlic, warm the whole thing up to temp. Add tomato paste and mix well. Once tomato paste caramelize, add crushed tomatoes. add chopped jalapenos and cilantro. Cook until everything is mixed well and bubbling nicely. Add beer if you want. Once full boil, cover and lower the heat to low and simmer. 10-15 min.

Serve with plain white rice topped with chilli and garnish of choice.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I also use those dried peppers—guajillo, California, ancho (sparingly), arbol or cayenne (for heat), sometimes chipotle if I want the smoke/adobo flavor. Sometimes a Spanish pimenton, also smoky. There are others. I either use the toast and steeped method described above , or I grind the peppers dry with cumin, coriander and make a powder, which I add to sautéing onions, garlic etc, to bring out the color and flavor, before adding to the pot.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
@bullet08:

Dave Chasen's restaurant in Los Angles, California grew from a tiny joint that served only barbecued spare-ribs and chili to a lavish dining establishment favored by the Hollywood elite but throughout that evolution his chili remained a menu staple. Here is a link to what is purported to be his original recipe.

Give it a go, and report back on how you like it (or not).

I don't use powder, I make a liquid. I take a mixture of dried chili's (ancho, guajillo, and arbol are a good place to start) and heat them in a dry pan with cumin seeds until they become fragrant but not to the point where they smoke. You're going to want to de-seed and cut them up a bit first.
This is exactly what I do. Except I will use other peppers sometimes, but always anchos. They go well with dried chipotles also.

Reactions: jackattack

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Here's my recipe for chile powder. Makes 3/4 cup I'll frequently up the pepper quantity by about 30%.

I leave out any real heat so that it can be added to whatever I'm cooking at the time of preparation, as required.

4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced into quarter sized pieces
4 dried cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced into pieces
4 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced into pieces

5 Tbs whole cumin seeds
3 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
1.5 Tbs dried oregano
2 Tbs smoked paprika

Place all of the chiles into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, just until the chiles begin to smoke. Remove the chiles from the pan and put into a blender.

Repeat the process with the cumin seeds. Set aside to cool, grind in a mortar and then put into the blender with the chiles.

Add the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika to the blender. Process into a fine powder. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks guys, much here for me to take in.

One thing, I was surprised to see many folks add oregano to their chilli mixes, I've even heard of that off this Forum. I struggle to see how such a delicately flavoured herb as oregano (which I adore on my pizza) can be detected in a chilli.

Some of the varieties of pepper you mention above I've never heard of let alone seen in the shops. Remember, I'm in the UK and we don't have the vast choices that you guys in the US have. Besides, I can't be faffing about fry drying fresh chillies as I can't stand up for more than a couple of minutes at a time so I must use dried ingredients purely for convenience.

BTW, when I do make con carne I do add (seeded) long dried red chillies bought in bulk from India for the 'hot' kick.

Thanks again fellas :col:

Jay.

One thing, I was surprised to see many folks add oregano to their chilli mixes, I've even heard of that off this Forum. I struggle to see how such a delicately flavoured herb as oregano (which I adore on my pizza) can be detected in a chilli.
Oregano has different varieties and is very versatile. I grow a Greek Oregano which is very spicey hot but with some floral flavors also. But, Italian oregano when mixed with cumin takes on a more savory flavor. Oregano with peppers has a whole other flavor as well.
But yeh, when Oregano mixes with garlic it does have that distinctive Italian marinara aroma.

Many of the Latin American dishes that I make call for Oregano with peppers and cumin.

• Wow
Right on Michael, I'm only familiar with the delicately floral Italian oregano.

When on the farm I grew heaps of it but now I have to rely on shop bought dried though I will try to seek out the Greek varietal if it's to be found in these parts.

Jay.
It is also very easy to grow. My first year, I had some in a pot on my back porch. Now, it has spread its seeds so that I pull them out of my asparagus beds.