Chicago Pipe Making Seminar (LOTS of pix!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh J. Alan Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Estate Pipes
24 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Though I don't consider myself a "pipe maker", I do attend the Pipe Making Seminar occasionally because it helps me better understand what goes into making a high quality pipe. This year the instructors were master pipe makers Brian Ruthenberg, Andy Petersen and Michael Butera. Other artisans who stopped in and gave us the benefit of their opinions were Lee von Erck, Jaden Hew Len, Rad Davis, and Alex Florov. Seminar organizer Rex Poggenpohl (who is also a pretty fair pipe maker himself) was on hand to help out. Briar cutter Romeo "Mimmo" Domenico supplied the blocks and gave a presentation on what went into selection, curing and cutting briar blocks. It was truly an education experience that everyone should try to participate in once in their lives.
Brian and Rex talking pipes and pipe making.

I tried making two pipes and think I was mostly successful.
Pipe #1 - the Mimmo block

A Brandy/billiard starts to take shape

After some sandblasting and staining (and a LOT of help from Michael, Brian, Andy, Lee and Jaden) the Brandy Billiard was done. The hand-sewn tweed sock was supplied by my Immortal Beloved, Mrs. BigVan. This was the third pipe I've ever made and the first that didn't make me sad to look at (let alone smoke).

And a day later, carver Simeon Turner showed me his smaller version of my pipe, so I had to buy it to complete the set.

Pipe #2

This block was supplied by Ryan Alden (aka Lonestar). It was red briar, which means it was VERY hard.

Nice plateau!

I smoothed the rim but left the lowest point of the plateau, just because.

I got the stem about 90% done (again, with a lot of instruction from the pros) and started blasting it, but it was so hard you could barely tell. By the end of the 2nd day I wasn't able to finish it, but Ryan said he would take it back to the Lonestar State and finish it up. I can't wait to see what he comes up with. Stay tuned for the Lonestar/Big Van Special!
As you can imagine, it was a GREAT time and working along side some of the greatest pipe makers in the world was such a wonderful experience. HUGE thanks to all the organizers, instructors and my fellow participants.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Wow, I think I need to attend next year. Man that looks like a helluva time!!!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
What a cool experience! That first pipe is killer and I'm sure the second Dublin style will be really cool. I can't wait to see the finished product, good work :)

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Great story, thanks for sharing. I will have to put a pipe making seminar on my list of things I want to do. And you have two great pipes to remind you of the experience.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
Bravo sir on making your pipe! I like what you created!
I like to tinker, and the thought of making a pipe sounds interesting ...

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Anyone planning to take the class next year should book a spot early. They book up solid and I think the waiting list gets longer every year. Its lots of fun

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Big Van I REALLY appreciate you posting all of your Chicago pics. If there was an award for member of the month it would be all you Big V.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I totally missed this post - great pics bigvan, what a fortunate experience to learn from such masters.
Big Van I REALLY appreciate you posting all of your Chicago pics. If there was an award for member of the month it would be all you Big V.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.