Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I worked with Altinok and had a pipe made for me to match a pipe previously listed on his site, This pipe has always had a strange chemical smell and taste and has never gone away after 15 or so bowls. I've run water and alcohol through it many times and just can't get it to clear up.

Has anyone ever experienced this in a Meer? Early on I discussed this problem with him and he is just not very responsive or caring that the pipe is off. Getting ready to chuck this thing, but now I'm a little gun shy of buying another Meer. Regardless, I will not bu from him again,

Last edited by a moderator:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I agree with the above gents. My meers have never tasted “good” right away. I would refrain from flushing them with anything, especially alcohol. They are very absorbent. Some people use water and it seems to work for them, but if you are trying to purge a taste or odor, I’d just keep smoking it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I worked with Altinok and had a pipe made for me to match a pipe previously listed on his site, This pipe has always had a strange chemical smell and taste and has never gone away after 15 or so bowls. I've run water and alcohol through it many times and just can't get it to clear up.

Has anyone ever experienced this in a Meer? Early on I discussed this problem with him and he is just not very responsive or caring that the pipe is off. Getting ready to chuck this thing, but now I'm a little gun shy of buying another Meer. Regardless, I will not bu from him again,
You sure it’s a chemical smell or is it a funky ocean/tidepool smell?

Reactions: anotherbob

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Definitely chemical/synthetic.

I guess I'll just smoke a bunch of straight burley bowls and see if it improves.
Ahhhhh Straight Burley Bowl’s. The cure! Can I recommend....

Hey, I have my first Meer on its way to me. I’ll post pics when it’s in my hands. I’ve never owned one before. Am very much looking forward to it, sans any chemical smell. -Jim

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’ve had 3 out of 5 very neutral. One was chalky but I couldn’t tell in the smoke. One was a strange chemical smell that abated after a few days. It’s still there if you look for it, but I can’t taste it in the smoke.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands

I started a thread the other day on the flavor of meerschaum. My new meer had a soapy flavor that could as well be described as "chemical". It is my only meer so far, so that's how much of an expert I am, but that soapyness is fading and just about gone now after 15-20 bowls, so keep at it is my advice.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I'm pretty new to meers, being I only have two. The one I recently got was my first new meer. It smoked great from the start, so much so I've pretty much been smoking it exclusively. One thing I did notice is that it actually dries my mouth out smoking it, but that doesn't bother me because I usually pair a smoke with a beer. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

Reactions: ebnash and dcon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That flavor and smell is why only one of mine gets smoked. The others are just for looking at.

Reactions: ebnash

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
A friend has an impressive collection of ornate carved meers but won’t smoke any of them because he claims every one he’s ever smoked tasted like the tobacco was burning in a toilet bowl. ?

• Haha
Reactions: ebnash and Casual

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A friend has an impressive collection of ornate carved meers but won’t smoke any of them because he claims every one he’s ever smoked tasted like the tobacco was burning in a toilet bowl. ?
I was around 50 smokes in my Kenan skull before the chalkiness began to subside.

Reactions: ebnash

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
This site is so much more helpful in the ways of piping. I've asked this question elsewhere and everyone swore up and down that all meers should never impart and taste ever. They should be good from the start!

This flavor is neither chalky or soapy. It is quite sharp and actually causing some stinging of the mouth. No, it's no tongue bite. I bought this pipe to smoke only EGR as the best it ever tastes to me, is in a fresh Cob. After about 10 bowls, it starts to sour.

I was hoping the Meer would be a long term solution.

For now, based on the advise given, I will start smoking Carter Hall for many bowls to see if it starts to fade.