PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Chatham Manor/Sutliff Estate: a Carter Hall match blend. Like Prince Albert, I'd love to try the original, but 14 oz. is just far too much of something I don't know if I'll enjoy.

Blend: Burley, with a bit of Virginia

Tin note: Very nice. Warm, inviting tobacco scent, with maybe a slight hint of cocoa

Initial impression: Initial light brought a familiar nuttiness from the burley. But that quickly burnt off, leaving one very prominent note behind: spice! Just pure, freaking jalapeno (though not quite as intensely fiery as that). I started to wonder if they sent me some perique-heavy blend by accident. It wasn't anything like tongue-bite from an aro – it was just constant, unrelenting spiciness. Finally, toward the last quarter of the bowl, I was treated to that same harsh cigarette flavor from Sutliff's PA match blend. All I could taste and smell from the room note was basically Marlboro Reds. Also like that other match blend, it burned at twice the speed of any other tobacco and made bizarre sizzling/popping sounds.

I officially give up on Sutliff match blends (and perhaps any Sutliff blend, as I have yet to be impressed with a single one). Give me an STG or Mac Baren product any day of the week. I love me some burley, but this, and their PA match, are just terrible in my opinion.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Both Chatham Manor and Sutliff Estate are trying to be substitutes for Carter Hall. I'm not sure if they are trying to Match Carter Hall or to get the main qualities of Carter Hall. I have always believed that if you are trying to get a match for an existing tobacco, you are better off getting the original. IMHO Carter Hall is better than either of the two substitutes. Carter Hall can be gotten in a pouch so if possible try to obtain a pouch of Carter Hall. It is a basic burley blend that has been around for quite a while.