PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

civey

Lurker
Jun 14, 2011
Hi guys,
I have a new pipe that I charred the rim of the bowl when lighting. Does anyone have an idea on how to remove it? It is a light burn, so I might have to just live with it.
Thanks

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Some repair guys will top a pipe. Seems like if the rim is smooth, you could put sandpaper on a smooth surface and push the pipe back and forth till the burn is gone. Coarse - very fine sandpaper. Then you would need to re stain the rim. All this will work if the rim is completely flat.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For a flat rim . Remove the stem, put fine sandpaper on a flat surface, and sand by moving the rim of the pipe in circles on the sandpaper. I find that by going alternately clockwise and counter clockwise that keeping the rin flat is easier. check often and stop as soon as you have cleaned up the char. Re-stain.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
A kinder gentler solution would be saliva.
Spit on a Q-Tip and rub the char with it. You'd be amazed at how well that works.
Also, during Ken Davis' seminar on pipe restoration at the Kansas City Pipe Show this past weekend, he said that black coffee works too. I haven't tried that one yet, but I will soon. I just have to remember to save some coffee in the morning before I drink it all.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
I used some moonshine once. I just dabbed it on a q-tip and gently rubbed the charred area, took it right off.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Not all scorch marks are bad ju ju. It could be protective. Depends on what demon put it here. Sometimes you can remove the mark but the ju ju is still there.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
i found that i used a q-tip and some graves grain 'alc and it took a good bit of the staining from the burn off, might try that first (i keep the bottle on hand to clean my pipe anyway, $10 for 190 proof)

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
100% lemon juice is a good alternative as well for cleaning a pipe, and the natural oils are very amenable to the wood. You may find that most of the 'char' is actually just tar. If it is the wood, though, then nothing can remove the mark except...removing the mark. Wood, once burned, stays that way...circle of life, dude.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Like Kevin said... I just use saliva (my own of course). :crazy:

But I have heard that magic erasers work wonders as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.