PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I said I wouldn’t buy this but I did. As you would expect with a Charatan, clearing the oxidation was a job. Me thinks this is a Rueben (inedible)? It’s quite small, 24 grams (as shown in the ‘51 catalogue). I’m not sure though. Very small pipe, two digit #, no letters…Rueben? Late Rueben? I got this for about 60$. I’m not sure why no one bid on it, apart from the oxidation. But oxidation doesn’t stop people in Japan from bidding on all kinds of other pipes, even other flashier Ruebens. This one kind of flew under the radar. Well, I think it was a score so…I’m happy.
IMG_6994.jpeg
IMG_6999.jpeg
IMG_7015.jpegIMG_7012.jpeg
IMG_7014.jpeg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I wouldn't have bid on it either, but then I really dislike billiards. You never account for the taste of the buyers. The second picture is showing some distortions that don't look natural.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
This exact pipe is listed in the ‘51 catalogue with the exact measurements and weight -BTW. I guess that means it’s a Rueben pipe? I’m assuming that this catalogue changed in the 60s and that this pipe went away?

Reactions: Joe H
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Pretty pipe!

A suggestion for next time: Tape the shank to mask the wood and take off the oxidation on the stem with the pipe assembled—it looks like you may have sanded the stem separately and rounded off the sharp edges of the stem face where it meets the wood—there should be a straight, seamless transition between the two parts instead of a valley in-between.

Reactions: Joe H and OzPiper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Pretty pipe!

A suggestion for next time: Tape the shank to mask the wood and take off the oxidation on the stem with the pipe assembled—it looks like you may have sanded the stem separately and rounded off the sharp edges of the stem face where it meets the wood—there should be a straight, seamless transition between the two parts instead of a valley in-between.
That can be corrected by cutting the face of the stem back a little bit.

• Love
Reactions: milk