PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

M

Magnum207

Charatan’s Make experts,

I am inquiring as to whether any of you have any information as to when these were possible manufactured.

I have several Charatan’s Make pipes. All of them are stamped CHARATAN’S MAKE
LONDON. ENGLAND

All of them are also stamped, in scriptive font,
Made By Hand
In
City of London.

Only two of the pipes, stamped “Rarity,” have only MADE BY HAND

Most seem to be Freehand made pipes.
5E96F3D0-4F33-4540-AB58-427056CC4C61.jpegE75E3473-774B-485C-8E7C-CC4248B45DB1.jpeg38136C69-530B-4735-B013-B34D968AF24C.jpeg
None of the pipes have any shape identifying numbers or letters, whatsoever. Some have a crowded CP on the stem, with the bottom portion of the C extending into the P.
All of the stems are saddle bit, however; two of the stems with a CP are tapered and not double comfort bits.

The pipe at the very bottom has no markings, whatsoever. This, it appears, is due to the shank being replaced (professionally it seems). Since this repaired pipe was in the box with the other Charatan’s Make pipes, and being extremely similar appearance, I believe this, too, is a Charatan’s Make.

If anyone has any information as to when these might have been made, I would sincerely appreciate it. And most importantly, are these considered “good” smoking pipes and overall decent pipes?

Thanks in advance!!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Unfortunately, the one person who could have accurately answered your questions passed away earlier this year. But any number of his posts survive on this forum, with his information about dated specific Charatan pipes that will apply to some of yours. Look for posts from Ken Barnes, who co-founded Upshall and trained at Charatan.

As for whether these are considered fine pipes, the answer is yes, they are. They should have gradings stamped on them, like "Selected", "Belvedere" "Supreme", etc. There may also be a capital scrip "L" in a circle, which indicate they were made while Lane Ltd owned the company.

There isn't a lot of useful information written down about the marque, which is curious considering the large following it has. You can try:

for more information and some links to articles. You may find some useful information there as well.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The most accepted theory is that pipes stamped in such a way were manufactured between 1968 - 1975. Supposedly in 1967 the "Made by Hand" was stamped in block lettering as opposed to script. Some did have numbers in addition to the regular stampings to indicate price point.

M

Magnum207

Unfortunately, the one person who could have accurately answered your questions passed away earlier this year. But any number of his posts survive on this forum, with his information about dated specific Charatan pipes that will apply to some of yours. Look for posts from Ken Barnes, who co-founded Upshall and trained at Charatan.

As for whether these are considered fine pipes, the answer is yes, they are. They should have gradings stamped on them, like "Selected", "Belvedere" "Supreme", etc. There may also be a capital scrip "L" in a circle, which indicate they were made while Lane Ltd owned the company.

There isn't a lot of useful information written down about the marque, which is curious considering the large following it has. You can try:

for more information and some links to articles. You may find some useful information there as well.
Sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. Barnes.

Most of mine are “Selected,” one “Distinction,” one “Executive,” and two “Rarity.” So, nothing high-grade, but very nice pipes. I appreciate your input and advice!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
M

Magnum207

Good post. Photos do better with indirect outdoor lighting, and dark pipes on a non-white background.
Thank you. Due to the weather, I never thought to take them outside. And, I only used the white placemat because the quarter-sawn Oak table is as dark as the pipes. I will try to remember for next time, sir.

M

Magnum207

The most accepted theory is that pipes stamped in such a way were manufactured between 1968 - 1975. Supposedly in 1967 the "Made by Hand" was stamped in block lettering as opposed to script. Some did have numbers in addition to the regular stampings to indicate price point.
Thank you very much.
At the behest of Saddlebrush52, I perused the information on Pipedia. Charatan’s Make pipe dating is certainly not a simple process. I’m happy with them regardless of age; I was just curious, So thanks for your input!

M

Magnum207

Thank you very much.
At the behest of Saddlebrush52, I perused the information on Pipedia. Charatan’s Make pipe dating is certainly not a simple process. I’m happy with them regardless of age; I was just curious, So thanks for your input!
“sablebrush52” !!!!! Sorry!!!!!

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I have one Charatan I purchased from Bear Graves ( some may recall his name ) 20+ years ago. A massive bent blast that I purchased because it's beautiful. It's light as a feather, remarkably light. Barely smoked when I got it. Don't think I smoked it even twice because it's too big for me. At the time I had PAD and purchased more than I would ever need in a rotation. But, a beautiful piece of briar, so it's still in my collection with many other perpetually neglected (ie I never smoke them) pipes.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Sorry to hear about the passing of Mr. Barnes.

Most of mine are “Selected,” one “Distinction,” one “Executive,” and two “Rarity.” So, nothing high-grade, but very nice pipes. I appreciate your input and advice!
They are certainly in the higher grades that aren't out of this world priced. You might search the name Ivy Ryan. Lots of good Charatan info in a piece under that name.

Mike S.

M

Magnum207

They are certainly in the higher grades that aren't out of this world priced. You might search the name Ivy Ryan. Lots of good Charatan info in a piece under that name.

Mike S.
Well, thank you very much.