PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I know its been debated around the internet but Im wondering what you guys think. Ive always left the cellophane on because I tend to fiddle around with them in my humidor. And some tend to sit for a year or more before I smoke them.

But I read an article that if you're aging them you should take it off because the cigars should be allowed to breathe and release ammonia. So now I'm confused again...

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I know its been debated around the internet but Im wondering what you guys think. Ive always left the cellophane on because I tend to fiddle around with them in my humidor. And some tend to sit for a year or more before I smoke them.

But I read an article that if you're aging them you should take it off because the cigars should be allowed to breathe and release ammonia. So now I'm confused again...

:ROFLMAO: The ages-old question! Many an internet thread has been locked or turned into a royal rumble over this critical question.

Like you, I leave cello on if I think the cigar will be rolling around in there for years as it will protect the wrapper from nicks, gouges, and cracks. If I think the cigar will be smoked within the next year or 2, and especially if it's a blend that needs some humidor time to open up, I will take cello off to allow better gas exchange between cigar and environment.

It is my same approach to tubos, although when receiving tubos, especially from overseas with recent box codes, I leave in the tubo, but remove the cap to inspect for mold, allow the cigar to acclimate quicker, and then I replace the cap if I intend to forget about it for several years. The general consensus (it seems) is that tubos age better because they age slower due to much less gas exchange.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Same as @pantsBoots. I leave them in the cello if they come with it, if I would buy tubos (which I don't and I think won't) I would screw the cap off and save it for further use. Cigars with a cedar sleeve I would pull off, never had them, they can only be a source of mold you don't see.

Reactions: onestrangeone

Bamfdor

Lurker
Jan 10, 2022
Illinois
I tried an experiment with two boxes of the same cigars I bought and took the cellophane off one of the boxes and let them sit for over a year. I could not tell any difference in the way either smoked. However, you ever notice those 5+ year old cellophanes that turn brown? Makes you wonder…

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I like to have my cake and eat it, too. I snip the cellophane off right at the foot. Cigar stays protected and I know that if it needs some sweet, sweet humidity it has no problem sucking it up.

Sep 18, 2015
The cello will breathe just fine, no need to take it off, clip the end or anything else. However if it makes you feel better have at it!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I see no benefit to leaving on the cellophane aside from it could eventually protect the wrapper a bit when you transport the Cigars. It is common sense the Cigars would age better with cello off.

Here's the other thought. Most, but not all, premium Cigars don't come wrapped in cello period. What's that tell you? And how much does it really matter with the cheaper cigars? I don't think the difference is significant so the answer is do whatever you like best.