PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ziv

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
Where do you guys store your tobacco? Are there any conditions in terms of temperature or humidity?

The only place I could cellar it is my garage, but my concern is that it is not air conditioned and gets pretty hot and humid here in South Florida.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Plastic totes are good for tins and Mylar bags with cabinets and cupboards for mason/ball/kilner jars. Just check the shelves are sturdy in any cabinet storing jars as they are heavy. Try to find a spot with a reasonably steady temperature ie: don't store on a western wall of the house for example.

Reactions: ziv and MattRVA

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I also use plastic containers that are long and shallow for some jars under the bed. Mylar would probably work, you can just seal the tins in. It’s really hard to get rid of all smells.

Reactions: ziv

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
My situation is different because I don’t have a wife so I can stink up the place 😀 but… I am dealing with residual odors and I don’t like the way my curtains stink. I just clean regularly and try to keep everything clean and tidy. English mixtures smell through the tin sometimes but it could be from the surface. I know I’ll loose some tins but I try to check them every year or two. Clean pipes smell better for sure. I have a wicked sense of smell so I don’t miss much. I kind of enjoy the sweet smell of tobacco.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Thanks! So, no garage.

Where do you cellar it?
All of my extra tobacco, went into mylar bags in a large tote in the basement.

Then I had about 4 blends in large jars in my rotation, that were in my office.

ziv

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
My situation is different because I don’t have a wife so I can stink up the place 😀 but… I am dealing with residual odors and I don’t like the way my curtains stink. I just clean regularly and try to keep everything clean and tidy. English mixtures smell through the tin sometimes but it could be from the surface. I know I’ll loose some tins but I try to check them every year or two. Clean pipes smell better for sure. I have a wicked sense of smell so I don’t miss much. I kind of enjoy the sweet smell of tobacco.
I don't smoke inside, so it least there's that. But my wife is kinda sensitive to smell; I thought Mason jars would be sufficient to keep the odors out, but it seems I need to place them in another container.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I'd grab this

Put it anywhere it's good indoors and outdoors.

Do you have room for a utility shed maybe 8x8 two pieces of ply for the floor then walls, roof and hurricane anchors?

I know you cannot have a basement but can you dig a shallow hole and line it with concrete and then paint waterproofing on the concrete interior and put your totes in there in case of a hurricane? Make a nice heavy door for the top. Kinda like a makeshift root cellar or something?

Just thinking off the cuff so maybe it will work maybe not. But those totes are nice.

ziv

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2024
South Florida
I know you cannot have a basement but can you dig a shallow hole and line it with concrete and then paint waterproofing on the concrete interior and put your totes in there in case of a hurricane? Make a nice heavy door for the top. Kinda like a makeshift root cellar or something?
Wow... that sounds like a lot for tobacco storage :)