PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
There might be a faint 6 just to the right and above the Castello stamp. If memory serves, I wasn't sure when looking at the actual pipe whether it was real or I was imagining it.

BTW, @daveinlax, when you wrote in an earlier post that "none [of your Epocas with stick stems] have a straw size stamp" were you referring to the "hand made Castello" stamp that recent stems have?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
There might be a faint 6 just to the right and above the Castello stamp. If memory serves, I wasn't sure when looking at the actual pipe whether it was real or I was imagining it.

BTW, @daveinlax, when you wrote in an earlier post that "none [of your Epocas with stick stems] have a straw size stamp" were you referring to the "hand made Castello" stamp that recent stems have?
Any of them. The hand made stamp was only used for a short time in the early seventies. Another thing is Epoca’s rarely had a size designation. And always keep in mind that Castello’s nomenclature is very inconsistent.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Aha, I discovered what "straw size" refers to. Apparently, a 6 would be the narrowest diameter straw size, which would make sense in view of the pinhole-sized opening.

Sorry to keep the questions coming, @daveinlax, but do any of your Epoca stems lack the "hand made Castello" stamp on the underside?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Aha, I discovered what "straw size" refers to. Apparently, a 6 would be the narrowest diameter straw size, which would make sense in view of the pinhole-sized opening.

Sorry to keep the questions coming, @daveinlax, but do any of your Epoca stems lack the "hand made Castello" stamp on the underside?
No the straw size was the length. I think 6 was the longest. The straws are all the same diameter. At one time I thought the place where the airway gets tight might be a straw stop. It is but I’ve heard and believe the reduction in diameter intensifying the flavor story. It’s hard to know and you really can’t get much of anything asking Castello. I just know I prefer the restricted draw to a pipe that’s been opened up.

I’ve got 50 some Epoca’s so I’m sure some don’t have the hand made with a straw size. I know the stick bits don’t I’ll take a look at some others later.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I started out with buyer's remorse and ended up with seller's remorse.:cry:

Actually, I'm okay with letting the pipe go.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I started out with buyer's remorse and ended up with seller's remorse.:cry:

Actually, I'm okay with letting the pipe go.

Other pipes will come along, maybe even one you'd enjoy and appreciate more than the one that got away. Doing research and picking the brains of fellow members here in the future before making a final decision seems like a good thing to keep in mind. The collective knowledge in this forum is a resource that you shouldn't be shy to tap into to avoid possible regret.

Reactions: n_irwin

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Other pipes will come along, maybe even one you'd enjoy and appreciate more than the one that got away. Doing research and picking the brains of fellow members here in the future before making a final decision seems like a good thing to keep in mind. The collective knowledge in this forum is a resource that you shouldn't be shy to tap into to avoid possible regret.
Agreed!