PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I finally got the chance to try Carter Hall today at my pipe club and I was actually really impressed with it for an OTC blend. It was however, a tiny bit on the bland side but I could see it being an all day smoke. Does anyone have any mixing recommendations to really make this blend shine?

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I am in no way a tobacco blender, but I have ideas now and then and sometimes they work out. I really like the original Walnut. The remake by Sutliff is good but shy of the original. A year or two ago I came up with an idea of what might help the new blend and I made a one-ounce enhancement. I add about 2% perique and about 4% Syrian Latakia. I was very happy with it as I felt that it did enhance the middle notes of the smoking experience. I never did it again, as I happened on two 12oz tins of the original from a private seller and purchased both.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Anything that you already enjoy, will go great with Carter Hall. I like Carter Hall on its own, but mixed with my favorite burleys, just adds a little extra. Sometimes the Carter Hall just takes a back seat, so it makes great filler to extend a blend that's getting low too!

briarbrat

Lurker
Jan 28, 2024
I actually prefer Chatham manor from the hearth and home mid series line.an amped up version of what Carter hall could have been with a 5% increase in effort

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I use Carter Hall to fix things, like 1Q. Put the two of them together and it's much better than 1Q by itself. Blend a bit too strong? A sprinkle of Carter Hall. A bit too sweet? Pinch of CH will help. Find out Lakelands aren't your thing? Carter Hall will take it from burying your nose in grandma's purse to being in the room with it open. Going to be around different people, not all smoke? It's a pretty non offensive blend for non smokers. Got a friend who just started smoking a pipe, or is interested in it? You guessed it.

Reactions: FLDRD

briarbrat

Lurker
Jan 28, 2024
An in law got me a tub of Carter hall a few decades back.wasnt enthused with the blandness or metallic aftertaste. Fortunately I had a tin of McClellands blending perique and that I worked in there and it made things a damn sight more enjoyable.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Anything that you already enjoy, will go great with Carter Hall. I like Carter Hall on its own, but mixed with my favorite burleys, just adds a little extra. Sometimes the Carter Hall just takes a back seat, so it makes great filler to extend a blend that's getting low too!
Carter Hall and OJK 🤤

• Love
Reactions: didimauw

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I use Carter Hall to fix things, like 1Q. Put the two of them together and it's much better than 1Q by itself. Blend a bit too strong? A sprinkle of Carter Hall. A bit too sweet? Pinch of CH will help. Find out Lakelands aren't your thing? Carter Hall will take it from burying your nose in grandma's purse to being in the room with it open. Going to be around different people, not all smoke? It's a pretty non offensive blend for non smokers. Got a friend who just started smoking a pipe, or is interested in it? You guessed it.
That is a great idea. 1Q is way too sweet for me but the two together could be really tasty

Reactions: RookieGuy80

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I mix them 50-50. (Half & half)
My go to. Daily.
For some reason I can't smoke all my favorites for the last 50 years because the nicotine whaps me but this works the best.

Reactions: RookieGuy80

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
CH is my "bottom level" that I go to. My tub is a few years old and still (PG) perfect.
Sometimes to help a little with palate fatigue, sometimes to mix (with ANYTHING as per above) with others. It was what showed me there was a path that I could follow to other tobaccos and get rid of the aromatic tongue burn.
I don't hold it up in esteem, but I appreciate it for what it is, and how it helped me.