PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I ordered some bulk baccy from Wilke. Can't do an order online, so I called the order in. I used a prepaid AMEX card to cover the order which left me with a tiny balance. After the order went through there followed a row of micro transactions of .10 or .12 cents each unit the balance was gone. The transactions were by LIFELOCK INC, WPENGINE.COM, and DOORDASH.COM. Never heard of these names and the only purchase I made was with Wilke.

I don't know what's going on and I'll be calling AMEX tomorrow. Just be aware and watch yourself.

Reactions: artvandelay007

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Dang. Oddly enough I had similar stuff happen when I bought something over the phone directly from Peterson in Dublin.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
This is peculiar. DoorDash and LifeLock are legitimate businesses with a net worth in the Billions. Word Press is a well known web hosting company generating annual revenue in the millions.
If I understand you correctly the amount of the transactions and manner in which they appeared/disappeared is similar to when a bank account is verified for use by a third party... For example when linking a checking account to your brokerage there will often be small deposit/withdrawals to verify. Let us know what you find out, it would be unfortunate to scare customers away over a misunderstanding. That said, I'm glad you protected yourself by using a prepaid card. Good luck sorting it out.

Reactions: anotherbob

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The problem with pre-paid cards is that they can be compromised before the buyer ever gets it. I doubt these micro transactions have anything to do with Wilke
I remember a credit card fraud case I had. A fellow's investment account was compromised through a "debit card" he had for the account. He had just participated in a sleep study set up at an Hotel. He was certain someone entered his room while he slept and obtained the card number.
Turns out two people hanging around the San Francisco Airport, stealing baggage had obtained a credit card making machine in on bag and a large number of credit card numbers stored in another piece of luggage.
It can be as "random" as that.

Mike S.

Reactions: anotherbob

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Guys he’s just saying it happened after the Wilkie transaction. I don’t think he’s throwing them under the bus. It’s possibly related and also possibly unrelated.

@crawdad i thought you were unable to call in an order due to a hearing problem?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there are tens of thousands or more hackers making a living chiseling micro "donations" from millions of people. Online has become a fairly nasty neighborhood.

Reactions: crawdad and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Someone could be hacking into whoever provides the merchant account as well.. so not even associated with Wilke but the place that runs their payments.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Someone in the other Wilke thread said they were updating their website and payment processor.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Guys he’s just saying it happened after the Wilkie transaction. I don’t think he’s throwing them under the bus. It’s possibly related and also possibly unrelated.

@crawdad i thought you were unable to call in an order due to a hearing problem?

I called AMEX but it was just too difficult for me hear and navigate the system. The damage was just a little over $2 before the account was sucked dry, so I really don’t care at this point. I just don’t know at which point the card was compromised. I’ve used the card before with zero problems.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Re: Doordash

Market Capitalization (your "valuation") means almost nothing for a relative startup. It appears to be a private company, which lost a boatload of cash last year. I'd bet its net worth is negative.

Re: Lifelock

It looks like it went private following the 2015 fiscal year, when its reported net worth was under $1 billion. How it's valued in an acquisition has little to do with its current net worth, which could be grossly under or overstated.

Please post text as text. When you convert it to an image, it doesn't get put in a reply correctly.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Er, no, not even remotely close. Where do you get this info?

You are correct that net worth is quite different than acquisition price and net worth may not have been the most appropriate choice of words. I never intended to have a Finance 101 discussion about terminology. I referenced the valuations to suggest that these companies themselves are not unsavory entities, rather established businesses as crawdad had not heard of them.

Since you asked for sources:
  1. DoorDash - An article discussing SoftBank's valuation of the company: Bloomberg - Are you a robot? - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-13/doordash-picks-up-another-100-million-at-nearly-13-billion-valuation
  2. LifeLock - An article about the acquisition by Symantec:
Why LifeLock Stock Soared Today | The Motley Fool - https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/11/21/why-lifelock-stock-soared-today.aspx

However, I fail to see how your comment added to the discussion. The point was to help crawdad and the community sort out concerns brought up over Wilke, not bicker over semantics/valuations of companies unrelated to the industry. We as a community owe that to each other AND to Wilke. It might seem trivial to some, but that is potentially another person's livelihood.

Status
Not open for further replies.