PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Joe H

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2024
Alaska
I’ve enjoyed various cherry aromatics as my predominant smoke since I started smoking a pipe in the mid-90s. The family prefers them and that certainly has a lot to do with it.

The one thing I’d emphasize (and you’ll see this if you read most cherry tobacco reviews) is that with the exception of Cpt Black Cherry, the cherry smell and flavor is often a background note to the tobacco. Cpt Black’s version is truly a cherry bomb.

I used to smoke Cpt Black Cherry straight, but not anymore. Now I use it to “cherry up” any blend I’ve had long enough that it’s lost its zing. And it doesn’t take much; Cpt Black Cherry is probably the strongest cherry blend out there. A 1 ½ oz. pouch mixed with 8 ounces of anything is more than enough. The cherry in Cpt Black is more of a candy cherry rather than something you’d pick off a tree.

If you are interested to try Cpt Black Cherry, it’s found everywhere, and $6 or $7 per pouch on line. You might also consider the current match blend of Middleton Cherry, which I believe is about $2.60 per ounce. It’s certainly old-school and I prefer it (I haven’t tried the match yet as I still have a fair bit of the original) to the Captain version.

These days I’m experimenting with cherry liquor stoving and pressing to add depth to my cherry blends. It’s fun, inexpensive and my family and neighbors all like the results – there’s no down side to that. I can only encourage you to try the Captain, or certainly Cult Blood Red Moon, or any of the bulk cherry codger blends. They’ll all make a nice change of pace smoke.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I personally prefer the seven seas which is basically Macbarren ripping off Capin Black. Honestly like all of them just that much better. All the Captain Blacks taste pretty good but are too humidified for my tastes. Or in other words always loved other people smoking them more then smoking them myself. But like most tobaccos if you feel an urge to try it, go for it. The thing is you'll never answer the is it worthwhile without smoking a pouch or two.

Danimal92sport

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2024
Chicago USA
Depends on what you’re thinking of as an ‘old time’ blend. I always thought of my grandpa’s pipe blend as cherry, but after trying many ‘drug store’ blends that were available back in the day, I actually think that he smoked something less cherry-forward.