Can You Recommend A Good Pipe Repair Shop?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
USA
I just received another eBay pipe shipment (I know, I'm addicted) and it has a lightly smoked new era GBD 9436 with what looks like the beginnings of a burnout or 2 near the heel. It is a small cavity with bare briar showing and a bit of a hollowed out section beside the draft hole.
Now I don't mind repairing old Kaywoodies and Willards but trying to repair a nicer pipe like this scares me. Can anybody recommend a good shop to send it to for a fix? There is also a Lugano pipe with a cracked shank that I might consider sending off for a fix.
Thanks,

Sou

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
There are many quality places. I send a fair amount to Floyd Norwood in Clifton, Tenn. There are also many talented folks on this site. Al is quickly becoming the GBD expert and just woked on one of my pipes with great results. Others will chime in so be patient.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I've not yet had to attempt a repair like that. I'd just mix up some pipe mud (fine cigar ash, etc. with water) and fill the cavity that way. You'd be surprised as to what can be filled and it holds up fine once a cake is built. At any rate, you can't harm the pipe by trying that method.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Cap:
Ken Davis in Kansas City. This garrulous, gentle giant took me to school and does very affordable work. I'll also second Toker's suggestion of Walker Briar Works. (Dave's Stem Restore kit is pure magic.)
Fnord

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I will put in a word for Dave Walker. I sent him an item whose needs exceeded my equipment limitations and his work is fantastic.

puffinbudgie

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
EA Carey, yes, the guys with the "Magic Inch" filters also have a pipe repair service. I sent one of my treasured Wally Frank Naturals there for a new stem. I had the pipe since 1979, it was one of a pair of French Straight Grain 'seconds', one a full bent, the other a Dublin. Anyway, the Dublin needed a new stem, I sent it in and not only did they give me a new stem, they cleaned it too. Great bunch, the EA Carey people. I bought one of their pipes a few years ago. It's an straight apple, a kind they call a 'featherweight'. Great pipe too. Good draw and the filters last for a few months. You could do worse.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Norwood's did do quality work with my LJ Peretti and in good turn around time ... in my opinion, the replacement stem they made is better than the original.
In fact ... time for some Halfling's Leaf in that pipe right about now.
3aA8Y.jpg

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Ejames also does some great work. He just did 4 of my pipes and he did a fantastic job for a good price. He's an artist for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.