PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MBSD Pipes

Lurker
May 18, 2023
Georgia, USA
www.mbsdpipes.com
Hi Pipesmag Forums,

I recently received a few mysterious freehands, each with very little by way of stamping. For the first time in a long time, I'm kinda stumped. If anyone can give me conclusive information on the maker, I'll throw a 10% off voucher their way. Here's one of the pipes and stamping.
TIA
Mitch

Unknwon pipe.png
Unknwon pipe logo.png

Last edited by a moderator:

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Hi Pipesmag Forums,

I recently received a few mysterious freehands, each with very little by way of stamping. For the first time in a long time, I'm kinda stumped. If anyone can give me conclusive information on the maker, I'll throw a 10% off voucher their way. Here's one of the pipes and stamping.
TIA
Mitch

View attachment 318266
View attachment 318267
That like something out of a Pharaoh's tomb.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't recognize the maker's mark on the stummel. But that doesn't say much. Looking into the possible match of the picture/mark, I found this. "٦٢". It's some sort of Arabic language meaning "62". Little off from "42", but good as any number. I'm sure those who collect pipes will chip in soon enough.

Reactions: MBSD Pipes

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I'm no expert, but I think it is a Soren hand-carved pipe made from plateau (or plateux) briar, similar to my Pete Plato pipe. Here's a web site with some pix
Soren Hand Carved Made In Denmark Pipes – rebornpipes - https://rebornpipes.com/tag/soren-hand-carved-made-in-denmark-pipes/
I think the stem shape adds up. But I kind of think the plateau is “rougher” and “drier” from what little we can see and makes me think it’s a carver with less production than Soren. I’m just basing this on several American freehands I have from the 70s from one off carvers. It’s just more rustic if that makes sense.

Aug 1, 2012
Not sure if this will help or not, but I did a little research and there is a pipe maker using the mark of JL which the mark on your pipe in an upside-down position. The maker is J.L. Thompson, and he is in the USA.
Did you see if that's one of his older marks? He doesn't seem to be using this marking currently.

MBSD Pipes

Lurker
May 18, 2023
Georgia, USA
www.mbsdpipes.com

MBSD Pipes

Lurker
May 18, 2023
Georgia, USA
www.mbsdpipes.com
I think the stem shape adds up. But I kind of think the plateau is “rougher” and “drier” from what little we can see and makes me think it’s a carver with less production than Soren. I’m just basing this on several American freehands I have from the 70s from one off carvers. It’s just more rustic if that makes sense.
Definitely agree. Seems American to me.

MBSD Pipes

Lurker
May 18, 2023
Georgia, USA
www.mbsdpipes.com
Not sure if this will help or not, but I did a little research and there is a pipe maker using the mark of JL which the mark on your pipe in an upside-down position. The maker is J.L. Thompson, and he is in the USA.
It's not the stamping I'm used to for JLT pipes, but it's definitely a lead. If you're right, I'll come back to you with the discount code as soon as I've set it up.