Can You Explain the Magic 7 Minute Mark?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my experience I get flavor right from the get go. I only use soft flame pipe lighters with the proper angle. I do a quick charring light then a quick full light and I am good to go. One thing I don't do is stick my lighter into the bowl. I put the lighter above the bowl and never into the pipe. If you are creating a huge cherry that burns the crap out of the tobacco, then maybe that is why you don't get flavor till the cherry cools down.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I'd like to pick the brains of the more experienced here to see if anyone can explain this magical mystery I'm experiencing.

Background:
I love Prince Albert and smoke it exclusively (at least until I run out!). It doesn't matter what packing method I employ, how moist or dry the tobacco is, nor what pipe I use. I light, set a timer and ease into my super relaxed, tiny sip cadence. The tobacco is always tasteless (just "smoke") until I hit the 7:00 minute mark. Then, the retrohale instantly transforms into the magical Raisin Bran type flavor that I love and stays with it until the last puff.

Why, oh why, does this occur? It drives me insane and I feel like the first half if my smoke is just wasted tobacco. My only theory about is that possibly it takes 7:00 minutes for everything to heat up to a specific temperature where the tobacco just blooms it's flavor and then it's easy to maintain. I would like to get this flavor burst sooner and have tried this theory by purposefully trying to smoke a little hotter at the beginning but no dice. It's always 7 minutes give or take 15 seconds.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Like you, I very much enjoy Prince Albert, and also like you I do notice that flavor transition (nicely stated, by the way). I have actually found this delay in the development of the “special flavors” always occurs for me.... it may not be as precise as 7 minutes for me, but I tend to think it is somewhat akin to how an engine will warm up to optimum performance or how when you first start playing a wind instrument, it takes a bit of time for the instrument to acclimate to the change with the introduction of humidity from your breath before it allows the good, consistent tone you want.

So, my OPINION is that what you have noticed is most likely just a natural part of the process (at least it seems so for me).

Now, a lot of folks have given you advice on how to potentially adjust the timing of when “full flavor” begins, and that may be very helpful for your original question and goals. For me, I just accept that the flavor will come at some point and do not really sweat the details.... because for me.... the activity is all about relaxation.... and metering and monitoring and fussing about the process of smoking my pipes really just feels to me like work.... and I have a helluva lot of work to do already with my job.... and do not want my relaxation to take on any work-like qualities. :)

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

o2jmpr

Lurker
Apr 28, 2021
Ok. Mystery solved.
This has nothing to do with packing,lighting, blend,cut or phase of the moon and wind direction.

The whole 7:00 ordeal is because of my cadence. It’s works just fine once the ember is hot enough but it takes 7 minutes to get there.

I wish I’d figured this out weeks ago but for me, I need to just the ember good and hot and billowing smoke after my true light then back off and “chase the ember”. According to my quick, tiny sip cadence I can feel and taste quickly whether I’m getting too how or too cold and adjust accordingly. Whole problem was just not getting it hot enough and having wait for it to come up to temp.
Thanks all. Appreciate your input!

Reactions: hairvise and BROBS