PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I had this IMCO (well, I am not sure whether it's the real deal or some cheap DDR copy) and the fuse went out rather fast. I replaced it with a zippo fuse, and in the process I had to remove the cotton from the gas well. Since it was an old lighter you can imagine that the cotton didn't come out in one piece. Not to mention that the zippo fuse is much longer than the IMCO, so when stuffing back the fuse and the shredded cotton I think I may have done something that makes the fill life of the lighter last less. What I mean is that before my quick fix a filled lighter would last perhaps a couple of weeks, and now it seems that it lasts a week at most. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I don’t know about imco lighters at all. But on a zippo, its better to weave the new wick like a snake around each ball of cotton as you repack the cotton in the lighter. If you don’t, the wick can get jammed at the top of the lighter and won’t do its job well.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don’t know about imco lighters at all. But on a zippo, its better to weave the new wick like a snake around each ball of cotton as you repack the cotton in the lighter. If you don’t, the wick can get jammed at the top of the lighter and won’t do its job well.
Exactly. Don’t put the wick straight down

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I get what you are saying, guys, but on an imco coiling is not possible as the fuel well is rather small in diameter. Unlike the zippo which is rectangular, and rather wide, the imco is cylindrical with an about 1cm diameter. Although perhaps cutting the wick and not inserting it whole may do the trick? What do you think ?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I get what you are saying, guys, but on an imco coiling is not possible as the fuel well is rather small in diameter. Unlike the zippo which is rectangular, and rather wide, the imco is cylindrical with an about 1cm diameter. Although perhaps cutting the wick and not inserting it whole may do the trick? What do you think ?

I have not ever changed the wick on mine. Do you want me to post a pic of the insides so you can compare?

Reactions: madox07 and Casual

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have not ever changed the wick on mine. Do you want me to post a pic of the insides so you can compare?

Mine was made out of some sort of hemp like material. This is another reason I am suspecting it is fugazy. A pic may help, fake or not it is still a good lighter, so I am looking for solutions. What better starting point than the original? Bullet may have a point with the cotton. When I bought it it was new, but stored for some 50 odd years, so the cotton is no longer that fluffy ...

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I have a new made in asia IMCO. My wick is stuffed in at the top of the cotton, I've never changed it as I just got the thing not too long ago. Mine stays full for about a week or so. The cotton doesn't seem anything fancy, could you not just use a cotton ball if you need more stuffing? Mine seems basically the same material as a cotton ball. New IMCO wicks and flints are available for Ali Express for cheap also.

Reactions: madox07
Status
Not open for further replies.