c1995 Mac Baren Navy Flake (Swisher Era)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
We’re going on holiday to Te Wai Pounamu (South Island) and don’t want my knife confiscated at the airport…ok, I just can’t be arsed cutting ropes and plugs for the next fortnight.

So I decided to pop a tin. Originally I was saving this to open upon the completion of my masters thesis. But with some health complications over the last year, I decided that being able to enjoy a pipe is cause enough for celebration.

This was generously given to me by one of our resident codgers @jpberg in his mission to purge his stash from anything other than dark plug. bdw

Yum. Just yum. That’s my review.

✌🏼

B0B459D1-9B5E-4911-B828-9BD5BA0A7DC4.jpeg4E47F2EF-C4F6-4EF3-B57C-7A5B44834739.jpeg3BC39F27-5B45-4B3A-863A-E2CB3F3156FF.jpegD758BE56-76CC-4B17-A421-649809390F8F.jpegD5A5AB5C-5D1D-4AE0-9E6E-6BD619ED3FD7.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Mac Baren: some love it, others hate it, and a lot of people think smoking it constitutes felonious assault to their mouth.

As for me, Mac Baren is one of my favorite blenders. Enjoy in good health.

By the way, what is your thesis on and in what master program?
I have a love hate relationship with Macbaren. I really love this blend. Their cavendish approach to burley has really brought out the nuts.

My thesis is on the value of the Māori language for non-Māori New Zealanders. It looks at decolonial theory, the treaty of waitangi and settler identities. I actually pulled a lot from an American critical theory scholar Kincheloe.

Thanks for asking 🤙🏼

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Nice score 👏

All the best for your health issues there Ahi, I can't think of a better way to ease the stress then having near 30 yr old Navy Flake to enjoy. Would you be able to say what the biggest difference is between this and a brand new tin?

Credit to Mr bergs generosity too.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Nice score 👏

All the best for your health issues there Ahi, I can't think of a better way to ease the stress then having near 30 yr old Navy Flake to enjoy. Would you be able to say what the biggest difference is between this and a brand new tin?

Credit to Mr bergs generosity too.
No clue bro. This is my first time with the blend. The tin note is incredible. Like walking into a candy store or something. The smoke, super nutty burley is what stands out to me. I get some of the Virginia and Macbaren style cavendish too.

Reactions: Brendan

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I have a love hate relationship with Macbaren. I really love this blend. Their cavendish approach to burley has really brought out the nuts.

My thesis is on the value of the Māori language for non-Māori New Zealanders. It looks at decolonial theory, the treaty of waitangi and settler identities. I actually pulled a lot from an American critical theory scholar Kincheloe.

Thanks for asking 🤙🏼
Maybe off-topic, but: Have you ever seen the TV show “Under the Vines”? We can watch it here in the States on Acorn TV, and it’s a comedy/drama about vintners in NZ. One of the winemakers is Maori, and she takes great pride in her culture. In one of the most recent episodes, she is delivering a presentation at a wine convention and gives her complete introduction in her own language to the non-Maori audience. It was quite an effective statement.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Maybe off-topic, but: Have you ever seen the TV show “Under the Vines”? We can watch it here in the States on Acorn TV, and it’s a comedy/drama about vintners in NZ. One of the winemakers is Maori, and she takes great pride in her culture. In one of the most recent episodes, she is delivering a presentation at a wine convention and gives her complete introduction in her own language to the non-Maori audience. It was quite an effective statement.
I had never heard of that show. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll definitely watch it. When my family came to NZ from Lebanon they set up a vineyard here. This pic is of my great great grandfather repping his walrus moustache. I never met him, but I remember his daughter (my great grandmother) Zealandia well. She was the first child born here

817A327A-F7BF-42F3-BF78-FA446F7144BF.jpeg

As for the lady’s introduction. That would be known as a mihi, and would potentially contain a pepeha. The use of both has become very common here in almost any setting, even by non-Māori, as it provides a way to acknowledge the different connections to land and ancestors we bring with us.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Hope things are well!

Watching "The Marathon Man" and seeing the old tin of Mac Baren Navy Flake in the briefcase reminded me to check out this thread.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’ve had a few bowls of this now, and decided to check out @JimInks review of the blend. This is the first time I have tasted everything as he describes it. The tin note originally had an intense sherbet candy shop thing going on, now it is more stewed fruit.

I definitely prefer this to HH burley flake. I had always assumed that as a navy flake it would have been Virginia forward and soaked in rum. No way. This is a wet dream for burley smokers.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Dave,

If that cased pair is what you're bringing along, you're definitely not slumming it on this trip 🤔
MacBaren's Navy Flake was my intro to burley and is THE blend I have the most of in the cellar.
Love the stewed fruit note, although I am not a fan of stewed fruit (as in dessert)

Enjoy your break

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Dave,

If that cased pair is what you're bringing along, you're definitely not slumming it on this trip 🤔
MacBaren's Navy Flake was my intro to burley and is THE blend I have the most of in the cellar.
Love the stewed fruit note, although I am not a fan of stewed fruit (as in dessert)

Enjoy your break
Yep I’ve brought these cased 1919 orliks with me as they have been neglected of late. On our last trip to Auckland (granted it was for only a few night) I realised how handy a cased pair is for travel.

Reactions: UB 40 and OzPiper