PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a four-spot strength and flavor blend from C&D, Tuggle Hall, that doesn't get much attention. I happen to be enjoying it in a Johs bent Dublin with the rim cut at a rakish angle. It is strong, but to me not overbearing, and has a nice balance of Cyprian Latakia, white burley, and a nice accent of Perique. I usually like what C&D does with burley, and this has a distinct spin on that leaf. If you handle burley, and a stronger English blend well, you might just like this one. Jeremy Reeves has sustained the continuity of C&D blends and expanded them as well. Despite a deep cellar for a moderate smoker, this is one I've re-ordered. It just fills a niche, scratches an itch I have. If it sounds like you might enjoy it, try an ounce in bulk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sandollars, Tuggle Hall kind of snuck up on me. I think I ordered it on a whim, just because I was trying stronger blends at the time, and it really clicked. It's not everyone's thing, seems not to be a big seller, but it's just enough different to provide a change of pace.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
I considered it with this 15% offf their blends this weekend...in the end I decided not to.
It sounds like I would enjoy it, but dang, one thing about C&D is they just have to many dang blends!

Speaking of burley, not sure if it is a new line, but they have a Burley Flake line out now....simply #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5.

I do not recall seeing them before?

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Yup, but thanks to mso489's review I just sucked it up and got some pegasus and some Tuggle Hall....
The curmudgeon in me nags because I didn't get it with my large order for free shipping.

So thanks for the review!

It was worth the price of shipping...

Reactions: mso489

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I considered it with this 15% offf their blends this weekend...in the end I decided not to.
It sounds like I would enjoy it, but dang, one thing about C&D is they just have to many dang blends!

Speaking of burley, not sure if it is a new line, but they have a Burley Flake line out now....simply #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5.

I do not recall seeing them before?
yeah it's like they're trying to ruin the game of if you could only have one brand of pipe tobacco for the rest of your life which one would you pick.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
yeah it's like they're trying to ruin the game of if you could only have one brand of pipe tobacco for the rest of your life which one would you pick.

Aye'yup....... I sometimes wonder....when I seriously start looking at their blends and what they contain, it makes you wonder how many bleed over to another...
I have only a smattering of C&D...there is soooo many brands out there it is tough to spread the love to all of them.
I guess I really don't need that extra kidney, but that limited run of "xxxx name your poison" is not going to last on their site forever.
....And down the rabbit hole I go...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Aye'yup....... I sometimes wonder....when I seriously start looking at their blends and what they contain, it makes you wonder how many bleed over to another...
I have only a smattering of C&D...there is soooo many brands out there it is tough to spread the love to all of them.
I guess I really don't need that extra kidney, but that limited run of "xxxx name your poison" is not going to last on their site forever.
....And down the rabbit hole I go...
I saw a thing from their blender where he said this blend is basically this blend with a different casing or slightly different proportions.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Huh...from as many as they have that sounds about right.
And I do not mean that as a gig towards their product.
It is just vastly overwhelming.

I personally prefer independent smaller blenders and most of what I smoke is from those stores, and arrives bulk style.

I have just a smattering of actual opened tins...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Although there is some similarity between blends including three or four versions of Old Joe Krantz in addition to the original, I haven't run across any that taste about like another. If you've played around with mixing at all (I don't call it blending unless it involves oven or pressure) you know that proportion changes the whole taste profile -- what's the base, what are the condiments, and in what proportion. So Jeremy on proportions doesn't disillusion me, but reveals he's got mastery in finding new blends with the same ingredients. With bulk blends, you can sample around in one ounce quantities and find just what you like. This isn't for everyone, but variety hounds love it. That's me.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.