PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
This is my first review. I've only been smoking pipes for about, oh, two months now. I've had the privilege of smoking a pretty decent variety of blends for my budget. Tonight, it is C&D's Pirate Kake.
This is the first time I ever smelled a Latakia tin / pouch note. The first thing that hit me was a smoldering campfire. I'm not as of yet able to detect many other aromas, so that's out of this review.
It lights with some effort, and probably goes out many more times than what I would prefer. I've used this in two different smoking styles: sipping and full-on train engine puffing. I have to admit, for the very distinct tin note, the flavor is actually quite pleasant, although it is quite unilateral. The flavors don't waver much whether you sip or puff fast, but my biggest surprise is that I chugged on it in a beat-up meerschaum and observed absolutely no tongue bite. So, props to this blend for coolness.
My take on it: if you are a fan of latakia, this is not short at all.

If you're looking for a nicotine smash, look elsewhere.

If you're looking for something to teach you the real difference between a char light and true light, this one fits the bill.

If you're looking for flavor, here it is.
On a star scale, because it doesn't really wow me or throw me for a dizzying loop, I might be generous to give it a 3.5. I can't say I don't like it, but I still don't know how I feel about latakia. As I mentioned, this is my first latakia blend, so it is far different from the other blends I've tried thus far. As I have read elsewhere, this is a love-it-or-hate-it blend. That said, I'm neutral. But I can't say I am leaning towards the hate it side either. I ordered a full four ounces, so by the time I've finished I'll know for sure whether it's something I can tolerate all day or just once in a while during a barbecue.
Note: I'm quite inexperienced, but I love details. So that's what you just read!
Additional Information
I purchased this on Pipes & Cigars' website. I'll assume you know about the bulk deals with incremental addenda. Thanks!

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
Thank you for that tip and the warm welcome, jpmcwjr! I'll give the drying-out a test in different lengths of time to find an ideal moisture [or dryness] level over the next few days.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Well for your first Lat blend you certainly jumped in with both feet!! Good on you! And great write up. I personally love the Lat, but find this one a bit monochromatic too.

Welcome to the forums-- looking forward to more from you........... :puffy:

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Welcome! Sounds like an interesting blend. Amazed at the lack of tongue bite. latakia can be a love-hate relationship.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Skulltula:
I'm not a great fan of Pirate Kake but it's still a decent smoke for me.
If drying it out - maybe 15 to 20 seconds in the micowave doesn't help - please let me know.
Fnord

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
Welcome to the forums and to pipe smoking. Pirate Kake is said to be one of the highest % lat blends @.70.

C&D uses high grade tobacco. I use Pirate Kake as a seasoning in other blends, typically an OTC Codger burley.

Latakia it pretty distinctive on its own but I like it best when blended with other flavors.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I like Pirate Kake, but agree that it has a simple flavor. It's mostly bottom end, like a Cello. I'm exploring English blends, and like Latakia a lot. My first love was Dunhill's Nightcap. It tastes very different from Pirate Kake.

skulltula

Lurker
Aug 17, 2015
@Beefeater: Thanks! I'll be sure to review everything that comes across my mailbox lol
@smokinfireman: I know what you mean. I got tongue bite from the likes of Captain Black, and even Half and Half when not careful. This was quite different.
@fnord: I haven't thought of the microwave approach. Then again, I figured patience was a dish best rewarded with time, but I'll consider a microwave effort for certain.
@newbroom: I actually added this to a G&H Dark Flake Unscented / Big & Burley / Haunted Bookshop combination last night. I thought it was quite a pleasant, toned-down blend, though still a rough puncher due to the powerhouse nic bombs presented. It did make for an interesting condiment, to be sure.
@maxx: Through my beginnings in searching for what amounted to be an overwhelming number of blends, Night Cap turned out to be one of the top-tier tobaccos showing up places on the internet. I did want to try it, but I'm thinking that perhaps I can give it a shot when my interest turns towards English blends. Exploration, as it were.

Status
Not open for further replies.