PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The other night I loaded up my Country Gentleman cob with a freshly opened tin of Pennington Gap. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this C&D offering, my first, it's cube cut burley blended with perique and a Bourbon casing. Though it was a little moist, I smoked it anyway - it was accordingly hard to light but easy to maintain when it finally caught. I greatly enjoyed this mixture flavour-wise, there was no bite either, but it quickly called me out as a lightweight. Hello, Burley! I haven't smoked it as the lead component before, but I've read nicotine is one of burley's calling cards. As I progressed I really got too much of a high and found myself intolerably dizzy; I had to dump the bottom third of the bowl. While it was a nice tobacco, the buzz really overwhelmed me. I didn't expect such a rush - I actually called it a night. I will have to get a smaller cob to retry it again later. The strength ratings on Tobacco Reviews were all over the place. When I bought this blend I trusted the numerous Mild - Mediums I saw, glossing over the scattered Medium-Strong ratings. My mistake.
As we all know, nicotine is very subjective and varies with the individual. I don't smoke cigarettes and smoke my pipe much less frequently than the majority on this site. All the same, do any of you have any experience with Pennington Gap? What were your thoughts on it? How would you rate its strength in your experience?
I've also got some C&D Epiphany here and I'm afraid I will face the same fate with it. Can anyone compare their relative strengths? How about C&D Crooner, another burley blend I was interested in?
Thanks in advance, I'd appreciate any input on either of these questions.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have not tried any of these but I suspect that Crooner would be a milder smoke because of the deer tongue. I've been enjoying Gentleman Caller which is a Burley, Virginia and Perique blend with deer tongue. To me it is reminiscent of the old Half&Half, A delightful smoke.

Of course, Gawith's 1792 has been my "go to" blend for years so that should tell you something about my tolerance for strong tobaccos.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have wondered about Gentleman Caller when I was browsing the C&D tobaccos. Something intrigues me about deer tongue, I hope I enjoy the taste. It sounds very pleasant and I like that it is traditional. Seems like people love it or hate it, though.
Try Pennington Gap if you ever get a chance. I enjoyed it, just caught me unawares; someone like yourself would probably have a completely different opinion on it, I'd be interested to hear your take.
1792 is the definition of a divisive blend, according to all I've heard. I don't think I would be able to enjoy the blends with a reputation for strength at this stage of the game - between that and its unique casing I'd probably be sick, even if I liked the taste of 1792. No worries about that, though; I'd have to find it, first!

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I wonder if it is as strong as C&D Burley Flake #1?? I smoked a bowl recently and forgot who I was for about an hour. It's the strongest tobacco I've smoked yet. :laughat: :crying: :crazy:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
1792? Maybe, though I've never had it.
Pennington Gap, not a chance - I think that was just me! I want to try it again but I'm not eager to repeat that experience just yet. I will certainly pack less and go much slower.
Buck I haven't bought much burley tobacco for that reason. Ever try Moe's Confetti? That seems to be one of the milder ones. I've also heard MacBaren's London Burley Blend is pretty mild for a burley. I'll find out for myself, eventually, I guess!
It certainly makes you aware that nicotine is a potent drug. I lose sight of its power a little since I come from a Captain Black background; I could smoke a couple bowls of sauced black cavendish without much more than an elevated pulse. There was no questioning that high I had the other night, though! I will be slower and more respectful the next time I try Pennington Gap.

casper223

Lurker
Nov 20, 2010
Are you sure that's not Dunhill NightCap your talking about? I smoked a bowl last week, and felt like I just walked out of a Rock Concert with that funny smelling smoke whirling around my head! I totally understand why they call it Night Cap......

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Haha, it's a little unsettling to become so disassociated from reality thanks to our kind of smoke - it's a buzz like any other, though, I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.