PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Did I miss it? Burley is the base on this one, as with many C&D blends, and the Virginia, Orientals, and Perique are the condimental tobaccos. It sounds good to me.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Oak Alley fantastic. Primarily burley-based from my understanding, it has a perfect touch of fruity/floral sweetness from the VAs and Turkish Katerini (and maybe a slight topping?). I wouldnt have guessed burley as the heaviest component from the flavor and aroma, but I believe I saw that mentioned by Jeremy Reeves in a video. It tastes quite different from any other C&D burley-based tobacco that I have had. Not as dry or rustic tasting as your Haunted Bookshops, Riverboat Gamblers and Burley Flakes. It also has a fair amount of strength.

It is probably my favorite C&D blend and I need to buy a tin of it soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somewhere back in the 1990's, C&D brought burley forward as a premium blending tobacco rather than an old standby codger leaf for OTC blends and an aromatic base. What they did was somewhat radical, and the sale of the brand to SP/Laudisi only extended their reach. I think of what C&D did for burley comparable to what McClellends did for Virginia tobacco, distinct and unique.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Somewhere back in the 1990's, C&D brought burley forward as a premium blending tobacco rather than an old standby codger leaf for OTC blends and an aromatic base. What they did was somewhat radical, and the sale of the brand to SP/Laudisi only extended their reach. I think of what C&D did for burley comparable to what McClellends did for Virginia tobacco, distinct and unique.
Yep!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
seems I remember an interview with one of the Tarlers and Jeremy, and Oak Alley was brought up as a blend that might be a 'sleeper' in their product line and one that was worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.