PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Comes as somewhat intact flakes. Picking one up will turn it into a broken flake. Doesn’t need any drying time.
Tin note has a touch of vinegar, some warm spice, earth, and wood.
The unstoved reds offer plentiful stone fruit sweetness and tang, some earthiness, some caramel, and some oak. The stoved Virginias smooth out the blend, and help to meld everything together. There’s a faint hint of balsamic vinegar here and there, and the eighteen year old Perique offers some prune, fig, and date notes, as well as a spice that builds through the bowl. Any horseradish notes have been mostly mellowed by time, but there is still a tiny sharpness in the nose on the retrohale. Requires a slow cadence to avoid any harsh notes. I would rank this as a medium strength blend, with the nic level just a tick behind.
Highly recommend. ?

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Comes as somewhat intact flakes. Picking one up will turn it into a broken flake. Doesn’t need any drying time.
Tin note has a touch of vinegar, some warm spice, earth, and wood.
The unstoved reds offer plentiful stone fruit sweetness and tang, some earthiness, some caramel, and some oak. The stoved Virginias smooth out the blend, and help to meld everything together. There’s a faint hint of balsamic vinegar here and there, and the eighteen year old Perique offers some prune, fig, and date notes, as well as a spice that builds through the bowl. Any horseradish notes have been mostly mellowed by time, but there is still a tiny sharpness in the nose on the retrohale. Requires a slow cadence to avoid any harsh notes. I would rank this as a medium strength blend, with the nic level just a tick behind.
Highly recommend. ?
Awesome review. I bought 5 tins for my cellar. Sounds like the flakes are just like the regular CRF. Crumbles on contact haha. Going to open a tin later tonight! Thanks

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
This is tasty stuff. I picked up four tins when it came out, and I'm enjoying the one I have open. I think it will age beautifully, so I'm really looking forward to tasting what it's like with a couple of years on it.
That’s what I did. Opened one to smoke now, put up the others. I never caught the previous releases, so I wanted to try it to get a “baseline” that I can compare it to later after it ages some (if I can stay out of the other ones).

Reactions: musicman

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
Nice write up. I pretty much agree with everything in the review.
I bought five tins when it came out, and I wish I had bought more. Too bad this won’t be a regular production blend. It is top notch though.
What defines regular production blend? Something like PA?

I am a newb still and have so far purchased every limited edition or small batch blend I can. Seems like they release a blend once or twice a year and they increase in quantity available? Or they release a limited amount to test the market before keeping a ready inventory?

Cant tell which are just market strategies to increase sales. I’m just trying to find out which I should be buying up as the man closes in on tobacco next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.