PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

birddogpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2020
Tonight I decided I'd do a review of Autumn Evening from Cornell and Diehl.

This is one you can smell immediately upon opening the tin (well, jar in this instance). The tobacco smells like maple syrup, margarine and butterscotch. There is a faint smell of Virginias coming through in the background but it's hard to tell where the topping ends and the tobacco begins. All in all, it's a really pleasant scent.

The fine ribbon cut was at a good moisture level when I got it so I jarred it immediately. Pulling it out now, it is still perfectly ready to smoke. The cut packs easily and lights pretty quick too. Not the absolute easiest blend in the world to get going but not a hassle either.

When I first lit this tobacco, I was extremely surprised. It tastes very similar to how it smells. No other aromatic I've tried has come anywhere close to this level of similarity between tin note and taste. This grabbed my attention for sure. The topping is front and center. I get primarily butterscotch, but the maple is present too. After a few minutes, the flavor mellows slightly and becomes less sweet. For me, this is a good thing. This particular blend starts the bowl right on the line between delicious and cloying. More than a few minutes of that probably wouldn't be an enjoyable experience in my case, but many here may disagree.

Regardless, after those first few minutes, some of the typical Virginia flavors start to present themselves. For me, it's mostly bread and sour citrus. Both of these take a back seat to the topping throughout the bowl, but gradually become more pronounced as the smoke progresses. However, the Virginia notes never get far enough to the front to really discern much from them. Towards the end, I've noticed this blend will tend to get sour. For that reason, I don't smoke it down to the bottom. As soon as I get that acrid taste I call it quits. Maybe I smoke it a little too fast, but I've never noticed this problem with other blends, even those especially prone to overheating.

I'll give this blend a 6/10. It's one of my favorite aromatics, but that isn't a difficult title to earn as I've only tried a handful. The flavor just gets old to me so quickly. A small bowl of it can be a nice change of pace for me but I probably couldn't smoke this more than a couple times a week. If you like aromatics, I'd definitely recommend you give it a go. If you're a Virginia guy like me, I bet you won't dislike it but it may be a little boring. Those who prefer heavy lat or perique blends might appreciate having something very light and sweet to smoke every once in a while.

Have any of you tried Autumn Evening? What were your thoughts?

Thanks for reading
birddogpiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I first lit this tobacco, I was extremely surprised. It tastes very similar to how it smells. No other aromatic I've tried has come anywhere close to this level of similarity between tin note and taste.
Dry them out a bit and most aros will taste how they smell.

My Autumn Evening pipe for many years now.

20191031_232748.jpg

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Great review. I used to smoke AE but we had a falling out. The taste became acrid and I had an allergic reaction to it everytime I smoked it. It's a shame because I really enjoyed it and so did everyone around me.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love the C&D inventory, but most of all their non-aromatic blends with burley. In the aromatic department, I like a tobacco forward blend, as I am fond of saying. This sounds over-flavored for my taste, but for those who long to have the taste fulfill the flavory smell, this sounds like a good one, but not for me.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your well written review. This is the only aromatic that I've liked enough to order more than once. I really like that you can taste the actual tobacco and a nice wisp or two of the flavour. Certainly doesn't hurt that the flavour is Maple too!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
When I first lit this tobacco, I was extremely surprised. It tastes very similar to how it smells. No other aromatic I've tried has come anywhere close to this level of similarity between tin note and taste. This grabbed my attention for sure. The topping is front and center.
I agree with your assessment of Autumn Evening. Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday is another aromatic that tastes like it smells, perhaps better.
Have any of you tried Autumn Evening? What were your thoughts?
Two of the guys that I smoke with have tins of Autumn Evening and it is an enjoyable aromatic because it is so flavorful if not in the mood for straight tobacco. People that like waffles and syrup LOVE the smell of this tobacco and have no issues being around when it's being smoked. However, the aroma is so strong and carries to well that we had to institute a rule that any intention of smoking Autumn Evening needed to be voiced prior to the gathering so that we could agree to all smoke it or the recommendation was vetoed. This rule came about because one night we had a campfire and one guy was smoking Autumn Evening and I was sitting across the fire trying to smoke RO Firestorm, yet all I could smell and taste was maple from the Autumn Evening infiltrating everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.