PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Has anyone built or have access to designs for a pipe rack &/ humidor built from barrel staves? I work for a brewery & we’ve got a few used up barrels laying around. I’d like to turn some of the wood into something useful, I don’t really have the room to make use of the entire barrel. Most of what I’ve seen them repurposed for are tables, planters, even chairs. I’m kinda handy & have hand tools.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Daniel Marshall made a small number of humidors from the staves that came from a twenty-one year old barrel of the Balvenie whisky a number of years back—I passed on one at auction because it lacked the bottle of whisky that was originally issued with it—which I kind of regret, because the humidor was pretty interesting. He still has some overstock on some humidors that were not part of the original limited run that came with whisky and the asking price is high. I like his work, but, I’ve had problems with his humidors in the past.

I know of no plans or designs available, but, am interested in your idea for using the staves. I have seen whisky glass flight holders made from staves and like the ones made the the most bowed portion.

Reactions: Reggie

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Daniel Marshall made a small number of humidors from the staves that came from a twenty-one year old barrel of the Balvenie whisky a number of years back—I passed on one at auction because it lacked the bottle of whisky that was originally issued with it—which I kind of regret, because the humidor was pretty interesting. He still has some overstock on some humidors that were not part of the original limited run that came with whisky and the asking price is high. I like his work, but, I’ve had problems with his humidors in the past.

I know of no plans or designs available, but, am interested in your idea for using the staves. I have seen whisky glass flight holders made from staves and like the ones made the the most bowed portion.
I’ve seen hanging stem wear racks made with them too. I think I can make a pretty decent pipe rack just through trial & error but the humidor would take some doing.
It’s really neat looking wood & I hate seeing the barrels sitting there & breaking down. Guess I could use some in my smoker

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Has anyone built or have access to designs for a pipe rack &/ humidor built from barrel staves? I work for a brewery & we’ve got a few used up barrels laying around. I’d like to turn some of the wood into something useful, I don’t really have the room to make use of the entire barrel. Most of what I’ve seen them repurposed for are tables, planters, even chairs. I’m kinda handy & have hand tools.
Charred barrel would make beautiful rack. Bet smells mellow too.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Charred barrel would make beautiful rack. Bet smells mellow too.
I’m putting some designs together in my head. I might even attempt to use the metal bands as trim. If I ever get around to building one I’ll be sure to post brag pics & share the design plans with anyone interested. I just hate seeing beautiful craftsmanship go to rot

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The curvature of barrel staves would have to be part of the design, unless you have access to them before they are bent. After that, there seem to be many options. Or the flat tops and bottoms could be adapted for the use.

Reactions: beargreasediet

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
mind if I ask what brewery? If nothing else it will give me an excuse to try a new beer maybe.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
The curvature of barrel staves would have to be part of the design, unless you have access to them before they are bent. After that, there seem to be many options. Or the flat tops and bottoms could be adapted for the use.
Kinda what I was thinking. You could have on with the curve pointing down for smaller pipes & have another with the curve side up for church wardens. I was thinking of using the head of the barrel as the base, just cut them to the length of the stave. There’s a good bit of material to work with so quite a few possibilities.

Reactions: Reggie