Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Anyone know what the score is with buying Peterson pipes from their online store is?
I'm fixing to buy a Peterson House Pipe bent PSB, but their website says "Not available for purchase". Now I'm guessing that this is a supply & demand thing, unless somebody can explain otherwise. If so. How does one pre order?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Anyone know what the score is with buying Peterson pipes from their online store is?
I'm fixing to buy a Peterson House Pipe bent PSB, but their website says "Not available for purchase". Now I'm guessing that this is a supply & demand thing, unless somebody can explain otherwise. If so. How does one pre order?
It's really the same as buying from SP EU, in fact I think exactly the same. You could call or email and I'm sure they'd answer the question but I don't think there is any way to preorder a pipe. When some show up in inventory they'll drop to the site as "fresh" I believe.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I would reach out to the various entities involved: Peterson, SP EU, SPC, LDG. I've heard a lot of good things about Laudisi's customer service so I think you'll get an answer. Also, did read somewhere that a guy contacted LDG and they took his info then contacted him when the pipe was in stock.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I would reach out to the various entities involved: Peterson, SP EU, SPC, LDG. I've heard a lot of good things about Laudisi's customer service so I think you'll get an answer. Also, did read somewhere that a guy contacted LDG and they took his info then contacted him when the pipe was in stock.
They are all same outfit. SP is little cheaper if you have their discount thing. LDG, for whatever reason, keeps the premium price. Sometimes, stuff on LDG shows up in SP. They all use same shape/finish designation.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Smoking Pipes has the most responsive robust customer service, best shipping and rates and epic selection. I have used them and dealt with them many times in between services and they always do right by their business... Highly recommend.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
They are all same outfit. SP is little cheaper if you have their discount thing. LDG, for whatever reason, keeps the premium price. Sometimes, stuff on LDG shows up in SP. They all use same shape/finish designation.
From what I understand they are all owned by the same company but they play different functions. Peterson is the manufacturer, LDG is the distributer/wholesaler? in the US, and SP is the retailer. I didn't understand why this is the case until I asked my friend in supply chain. After talking to him I still didn't understand but there is a reason.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
From what I understand they are all owned by the same company but they play different functions. Peterson is the manufacturer, LDG is the distributer/wholesaler? in the US, and SP is the retailer. I didn't understand why this is the case until I asked my friend in supply chain. After talking to him I still didn't understand but there is a reason.
Click on a pipe to buy from Peterson.ie and it will show as smokingpipes.eu, the inventory is the inventory, but yes, different roles however they've chosen to organize it for their business reasons.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yep, if you get the VIP discount, that's via doing business with SP EU or SP and that doesn't get applied simply buying via the Peterson.ie site, so no reason for me, as an example, to order other than from SP EU or SP.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
As an aside to my original post. If. When buying from a third party. What designate PSB to regular sand-blast?
From SP website:

In 2019, Peterson overhauled its sandblasting process by adopting a more intimate, artisan-style setup that now allows the marque's craftsmen to sandblast pipes individually and with more control. This new process yielded such exceptional results that Peterson created a special stamp to further distinguish pipes that showed especially choice, grain-defining sandblasts: the PSB grade. While the Supreme is still the highest designation for Peterson's sandblasted pipes, the PSB stamp denotes sandblasted bowls of exceptional quality and character and remains a rare honor in its own right, with only 1% of Peterson's regular production pipes earning the designation. This is truly a special piece and represents Peterson's new standard for the sandblasted pipe.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have a feeling @scloyd might have bought from them.
I've been looking online, but would seem they're all out...
Dunno!
Looking for scloyd to chime in...
Nope. Sorry, I've never purchased a Peterson directly from them. All of my Peterson's have been purchased from SP, except for my Peterson Phoenix, which I purchased from the Pipe Nook.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My experience buying off the Peterson website, and having spoken with them via email & phone, is that the website ties directly to the Dublin store. As I understand things, and I could be wrong, the SPeu website is tied to the inventory at the new Ireland warehouse.
When I bought my Vauen from Sp.eu, I emailed them to get another picture and Debora who works at the store pulled it, photographed it and emailed me the picks. Also, SP.com, kindly transferred my store credit from SP.EU and applied it to a tobacco purchase with a few clicks on the computer. Very good customer service overall in my limited experience and as a result I shop their website every week or so.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
@scloyd
Thanks for your your feedback, appreciate it.
Can I pre-order through SP?
I'd call (or email). There really isn't a "pre-order" option - when we were at the Dublin shop last summer the very nice young lady that helped us gave me some info on what was in "the works" at that time, but no way to "reserve" or pre-order or buy something they may or may not have had, lol, until officially released. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will offer to let you know or maybe they'll just do it as a matter of course. Never tried!