PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
As other people have said, you get more aroma and flavour by just having a portion of the tobacco burn and the rest of it around the ember heated. It's a good thing. But if you want then Tamp the sides toward the center to burn more evenly and give it a good but gentle initial light. See the difference.

Reactions: Zartoon and rushx9

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've learned to, for lack of a better term, tamp "inward" in addition to tamping down and it's made a big difference. I use the scoop on my pipe tool tool do this by gently working my way around the outside of the bowl with it and pushing slightly inward. This helps keep me form over packing the bowl from downward pressure plus I can still tamp downward when necessary. I also experience fewer relights. Here is the pipe tool I use:

001-545-0257.jpg

Reactions: Bowie and Zartoon
Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I like to dry the tobacco some first,then fill the chamber and compress the tobacco to where it retains a springiness,and the draw is not effected too much.When I light,I ensure the entire surface is ignited,and glowing.I’ll smoke for a few minutes,then tamp the ashes down a little.This is just very general guidance,and my opinion only,
because the issue of how one smokes one’s Pipe is very subjective,to be settled on one’s own terms.

Reactions: brunot and Zartoon

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
I paid attention and you guys are absolutely spot on. A lot of folks said a venter burn draws the flavor from the surrounding tobacco by heating it, and it makes sense. Especially with aromatics, a center burn is very flavorful. When I push the unburied side tobacco to the middle, and relight, that tobacco now is much less flavorful because it gave its flavor already being next to the cherry in the center.