Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingcamnut

Lurker
Aug 11, 2011
I need some advice, I have notice some quite deep pitting appearing in the bowl of one of my briars, never had the problem before, I noticed it after the bowl got really hot during a fairly long smoke whilst fishing. After the bowl was emptied I saw the charcoal pits in the wall of the pipe..... Argggggh!. So 3 questions: 1st What caused it? ...2nd what can I do to stop it happening again...3rd What can I do to save my pipe ? :(

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
take some pics for us. I'd say you are on the verge of your first "burn out". Not sure what exactly causes it other than a weak spot in the briar and/or fast hot smoking.

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
I notice that my pipe always burns a lot hotter when there is even the slightest breeze outside. Sometimes to the point where I'll have to put the bowl out because I'm afraid of causing damage.
That's my guess as to what's happening, I think the only remedy is to either get a wind cap of some sort, or to not smoke outside during breezy weather. I sometimes make a little "wind cap" with my hand by just cupping it over the bowl, and that works usually.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
The pitting is definitely due to the heat. they say that if the pipe becomes excessively hot, as in to hot to hold, you should immediately stop smoking until the bowl cools down. As smokinjoe said, wind can cause the pipe tobacco to burn hotter, thus making the pipe hotter. also, watch how you smoke it. I have noticed that when I thoughtfully try to take slower and gentler puffs, the pipe will not burn as hot, and it will smoke cooler.
Hope that helps!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
To repair a burn in Your pipe use some pipe mud, it realy works. I had to make some just a week ago.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
When I first took up pipe smoking, the guy who was my pipe "guru" at the time told me that when breaking in if the pipe ever got to hot to hold to your cheek, you need to put it down and cool off, and to avoid being out in the wind with it. That advice has served well... I've never had burn through.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I have had 2 "burn outs" like what you described and pipe mud completely fixed it. There are several threads on the topic that totally describe how to 1 - save ash 2 - mix a drop at a time of water into the ash until you have the consistency of spackle or a paste 3 - smoothly fill the burn with the pipe mud 4 - wait a couple days 5 - smoke, enjoy and feel great that you saved your pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.