PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

revnatorade

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Help! I think this new Peterson Estate pipe has a burned out bowl. Which really sucks. I'm assuming pipe mud is the fix want to know if anyone has any other suggestions. I thought it was just cake at first, but then I noticed the bottom is much wider than the top and as I was down to bare wood at the top, but not the bottom my suspicions were confirmed.
1000011251.jpg1000011250.jpg
1000011249.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It does look like someone smoked that too hot at the bottom. Like how people say don't worry about delighting the bottle, this is what can happen. Pretty charred at the draft hole.

And I agree, some pipe mud will help it last longer. How long? That's the question.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France

Rustie explains it here.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Did you sand off cake from the top half of the chamber?
Was the pipe ghosted?

I was wondering what was smoked in it before. No tobacco pipe smoker I know would produce the results you show.

Reactions: revnatorade
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
This might be pedantic of me, but unless there is a hole burned to the outside of the bowl, I wouldn't call it "burned out", just charred. A little bit of charring is normal, especially if the pipe didn't have a chamber coating from the factory.

I suspect the previous owner smoked a little fast, and thus wet, making it harder to relight as each bowl went on. My first pipe has similar damage but is still plenty serviceable.

revnatorade

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
This might be pedantic of me, but unless there is a hole burned to the outside of the bowl, I wouldn't call it "burned out", just charred. A little bit of charring is normal, especially if the pipe didn't have a chamber coating from the factory.

I suspect the previous owner smoked a little fast, and thus wet, making it harder to relight as each bowl went on. My first pipe has similar damage but is still plenty serviceable.
I guess calling it burned out is incorrect as the outside of the bowl is still in great shape. There are some deep fissures in it and a large piece near the draft hole is missing which is why I freaked out after I cleaned it.