PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
I'm looking for suggestions for a nice FULL bodied Burley, Latakia and Perique blend to go with my C&D-Crowley's Best. Any suggestions.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Idk I love burley blends, but try to avoid the latakia blends of late. Sorry I can't be any help.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Oppie:
That's a tough one eh?
I can't think or another Bur/Lat/Per. Easy if you want some VA in there.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Oppie, I can't give you any personal recommendations but...
If you check http://www.tobaccoreviews.com, there is an advanced search (upper right corner of the page) and you can select which tobacco's to include & which tobaccos to exclude.
It looks like there are a few to choose from, though most of them are categorized as Medium in taste. A place to start maybe.

adauria

Lurker
Mar 29, 2010
I was immediately thinking "Crowley's Best" as I read your question... until I got to the end :) Can't really think of any others that fit that bill quite so well.
-Andrew

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Oppie:
Here's a link to the advanced search results for Burely/Latakia/Perique with out VA/Turkish/Oriental on tobaccoreviews.com.
I'm going to order some Epiphany I think. I've had it in my cart. Then out. Now it's back in.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Jones, Thanks for the link. I don't know if I'm going brain dead or what, but I have smoked Epiphany before and I really liked it. I just plain forgot about. It's a remake of the old Revelation blend. Which was Einstein's favorite so they say. Thanks again. I looked through all my stock thinking that I may have had some left, but I don't. I too have to order more of it. I love the Tobacco reviews site. Didn't know they had an advanced search. LOL

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Oppie,
I have recently tried a couple of "new" tobaccos... new to me anyway.

The first is Escudo Navy De Luxe; it is "Full bodied Virginia blended with Perique. It is a little unusual in its presentation. It is rolled and pressed then sliced into "coins". My wife doesn't complain about the room note and it is particularly tasteful. The plum taste of the Perique is quite pleasing.
The second is Original Formula Balkan Smoking Mixture by Sasieni.

It reminds me of the blend that my old piano professor always smoked. It is an excellent and strong blend of Macedonia and Latakia and "Old Virginia". Very, very satisfying. The smoke is very rich.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Pstlpkr, Thanks. I've been meaning to try that. However every place I looked is out. Any suggestions?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here you go.

The Briary
They do their business over the phone.

I believe they have a toll free number.

Tell Skip and John I said hello.

I was just in there yesterday and they had it in stock then.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Oppie:
I just saw the advanced feature last night after seeing Mick mention it in the Latakia snob thread.
Pretty useful. Although the Wiki approach to blend descriptions and component lists is sometimes a bit spotty.
Lawrence: I personally thought Escudo was in about the same league as LBF. And actually I've now found I like PS Navy Flake the best of the 3. Just not in a cool looking coin.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Pstlpkr and Jonesing, Thanks for the good info. The Escudo, Original Formula Balkan Smoking Mixture and the PS Navy Flake all sound like something I would really like. I think I'll get all three. LOL

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
Just to be clear Oppie. The Navy flake, LBF and Escudo are VaPers. Not bur/lat/pers.

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I haven't but it's on the list somewhere. Seems folks liek it and some hold it as the best VA/Bur/per goin.
Since we all sort of stumbled into a Va/perish conversation in Oppie's Burley latakia perique thread. I just as well throw out G&H Louisiana Flake. Jesus this is good stuff. Same general ballpark as PS Navy Flake but better to me. Of course it should be better given the cost difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.