PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
So what are your opinions on the difference between the two. Why is one better than the other? Do you buy bulk to try before you get a tin? Do you just buy one and not the other? Just want to get a feel for both.

Reactions: Pipewizard420

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
I buy both I generally buy bulk if im cellaring a blend. And if im want a on hand smoke i generally buy tins. Can usually get bulks cheaper.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I find no difference but for the fact that bulk usually seems to be a bit more on the dry side and it is usually a bit older than what you buy in a new tin. The only bulks I used to buy were Samuel Gawith and McClelland.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I buy mostly bulks because I will buy it in large portions, take out what I want to smoke, and cellar the rest. It is also much cheaper to buy bulk than tins.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I transfer all of my tobacco, weather from tin or bulk, to mason jars as soon as I get it home.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I prefer bulk as a matter of economics for those blends I can get that way. Some excellent blends (like Peterson Perfect Plug ) are only available in tins so that is when I pay the extra for the tin.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I'll buy a tin of a tobacco I want to try and, if I like it, then get it in bulk if it is available that way.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
For me it's all a matter of economics.....buy in bulk, if possible, and store in a mason jar.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Like many here, I buy in bulk because of the economics. I have been gettting the tins of late to get a sampling of a number of things I've been wanting to try. It seems about a wash between a tin and a 2 ounce bulk purchase for the blends I have gotten lately.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I buy tins if they do not offer bulks , plus tins are cool . Bulk is the way to go once you find a blend you like . The quality is the same either way .Just get a bunch of Mason jars and labels . I would buy the smaller jars for samples and save the big quart jars for the blends you smoke everyday . Some spendy blends get smoked on the forums but I would bet most are treats and not all day smokes .

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Bulk if available. That still amounts to a lot of tins waiting to be popped. I can't recall doing

any side-by-side comparisons for blends offered in both forms. I'm guessing there isn't enough

difference to justify the extra cost of tins. The bulk and any open tins go into Mason jars immediately.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
There are some great bulks. Lane 1Q for a good all around go to smoke, Peter Stokkebye (wow! I spelled his name right!) Luxury Bulls Eye Flake, just plain great.
However I do have a weakness for some tins like Rattry's Hal O' The Wynd, and Escudo Navy De Luxe.
I buy like most... bulks. Economy.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I buy both. But if a blend is offered in bulk and I like that blend, I will buy it in bulk.
I have smoked several different tobaccos that are offered in tin and bulk in both the bulk offering and the tin offering and there is no difference except, like Ohin3 said, that the bulk may be a little dryer than the tin.
This is another myth that sometimes happens in pipe smoking; that tinned version and bulk version of a blend are different. They are not. They are the same exact blend just packaged differently.

Reactions: eljimmy
Status
Not open for further replies.