PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
I have at least a dozen tins that are 15 to 25 years old (including irreplaceable tins of 3 Oaks Syrian, Wilderness, and Prince's Street). I buy tobacco in tins for:
1) Long-term storage, especially if I expect them to remain sealed for a decade or more.
2) Easier and more secure storage -- no glass, steel, colorful and informative labels, less air.
3) Resale, in case I change my mind. Bulk tobacco is more difficult to sell than sealed tins.

Just my $.02.

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Often times tinned blends are only offered in tins. When blends are offered both in bulk and in tins, and you plan on opening your tins immediately, there isn’t really an advantage to tins.
On the other hand, if you want anaerobic aging to occur, I think an unopened, vacuum sealed tin is the way. Obviously that’s not possible with a bulk blend unless you have a way to vacuum seal your jars which some people do.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I counted my opened blends yesterday. All are bulks and I put them in repurposed tobacco tubs or peanut jars.
I used to just keep 'em in their bags in a cooler but now I've got almost all of em in a tub or jar sitting on the shelf where I can access them readily. 21 blends or straight varietals. I have one tin of tobacco. Capstan Yellow.

Copperhead

Lurker
Jun 4, 2024
On the other hand, if you want anaerobic aging to occur, I think an unopened, vacuum sealed tin is the way. Obviously that’s not possible with a bulk blend unless you have a way to vacuum seal your jars which some people do.
I thought oxygen was necessary for this process to occur?

I can vacuum seal my jars, but have never done so because of this.

I may rethink sealing my jars if you are right.

To the original post: I'll always buy in bulk if available, but sometimes tins are all to be had....whatever.

I really wanted that 5 pound block of plum pudding though....

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Enjoying a Morning smoke with my OL'Buddy Handsome after jarring a bag of Nutty Irishman and a tin of Founding Fathers and had a thought since bulk is cheaper, and I'm going to put the tin in a mason jar anyway what is the tin benefit other than the nice picture on the label? Any thoughts?
View attachment 329262
Beautiful dog. My two Basset Hounds also believe, to my great happiness, that they are intended to be lapdogs.! They love to crawl all over us and we call it "being Bassetized" in our house. Cousins to your pup of course.

SSGT.

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
Beautiful dog. My two Basset Hounds also believe, to my great happiness, that they are intended to be lapdogs.! They love to crawl all over us and we call it "being Bassetized" in our house. Cousins to your pup of course.
We call Bassets compact Bloodhounds.

• Love
Reactions: Merton

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
We call Bassets compact Bloodhounds.
I believe that Bassets get the silver medal (Bloodhounds are gold) when it comes to breeds with a tremendous sense of smell. I wonder if Bloodhounds, from which Bassets (low hounds) are descended are blessed withe same laid back, affectionate and stubborn personalities.

Reactions: SSGT.

SSGT.

Might Stick Around
Jul 7, 2024
Sealy Texas
I believe that Bassets get the silver medal (Bloodhounds are gold) when it comes to breeds with a tremendous sense of smell. I wonder if Bloodhounds, from which Bassets (low hounds) are descended are blessed withe same laid back, affectionate and stubborn personalities.
Oh yes, Bloodhounds are smart, funny, playful when they want to be and extremely stubborn. We raise and train them for search and rescue they can be trying at times, but in the long run its all worth it.

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bassett Waddle. My hometown of Dwight, Illinois (ca. 75 miles SSW of Chicago) holds an annual Harvest Days Festival.

Last time I attended, there was a "Bassett Waddle", where upwards of 1,000 dogs parade down a street. An amazing sight, funny and touching.

If anyone is interested, I will find out if it's going on this year. BTW, Dwight was host to Route 66 for years. Ran through the center of the village (ca 3,000 souls) I happens in the middle of Sept.

Reactions: Merton

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I smoke my pipe once daily on average, so even a 2oz tin can last me a long time. As such, I rarely buy in bulk. A lot of my favorite blends are only available in tins. And tins store tobacco more freshly, generally speaking.

But if smoke often and can get your favorite blends in bulk, then yea, that is probably a good way to save a little green in the long run.

Reactions: JOHN72

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
First and foremost, Handsome is a beautiful dog who looks like he was trouble in his younger years.

I have both bulk and tins in my cellar. If there's a bulk option, chances are very good I'll do that. The exception would be if there's a blend offered both that I've been curious about and happen to run into at a B&M. I'll buy a tin to see and support a local business.

The reason is pretty boring and pedestrian most of the time. The bulks are cheaper per ounce usually. It's much more affordable for me to buy a pound or two of bulk than the same number of ounces in tins.

Tins are easier to resell, that's true. But I buy tobacco for my enjoyment. It's like not driving my motorcycle so much to keep its resale value higher. And there's always empty jars around. Tins are also usually a bit more moist than bulks, if that makes a difference to you. I'm sure there something to aging in tins compared to bulk. But I am enjoying some almost 5 year old Sutliff Victorian that's been aging patiently in Ball canning jars and it tastes wonderful.