shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Managed to tear the front track bar bracket in half at the axle housing:

1000009244.jpg

1000009739.jpg

1000009738.jpg

Removed it completely with a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff disc and cleaned up the axle housing with the same grinder and a sanding disc.

Dry fit the new, much beefier 1/4" mild steel one to check for fit and then welded everything together with my Lincoln 140 Pro mig welder:

1000009744.jpg

1000009745.jpg

All is good now. Going to bash it on some rocks this weekend. Taking a couple of pipes along of course.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
You must have money to burn, and break shit just so you can use your tools 😂 That doesn't look like a locknut, and I don't see a lock washer, lock tight maybe 🤔 The, so called, mechanics that I work with don't know where the lock washer goes, they'll put it behind the head of the bolt KIMG1149.JPG and then when they're schooled on where to place it, they'll over tighten it... defeating the purpose. I need to learn better Spanish. KIMG1150.JPG Oh well, at least you're having fun 🥃

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Jeep people enjoy the hell out of tearing up their stuff. I used to have a neighbor that was always so damned happy when his Jeep would snap, break, bend, or throw something, so that he could pull out his tools and have something to do in his front yard.
Looks like you have a project there.
I don't currently know any jeep people, but you expressed my sentiment. I enjoy using tools and doing repairs... working with my hands. I probably came across like an asshole🤣

Reactions: shanez

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Managed to tear the front track bar bracket in half at the axle housing:

View attachment 295425

View attachment 295426

View attachment 295427

Removed it completely with a 4" angle grinder with a cutoff disc and cleaned up the axle housing with the same grinder and a sanding disc.

Dry fit the new, much beefier 1/4" mild steel one to check for fit and then welded everything together with my Lincoln 140 Pro mig welder:

View attachment 295429

View attachment 295430

All is good now. Going to bash it on some rocks this weekend. Taking a couple of pipes along of course.
I have a series of questions for you

First. What year is the jeep?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I posted in another thread about going 4 wheeling again which was after my repair so my welding, although ugly, is structurally sound.

If anyone cares, I use Loctite 243 on my suspension components and that particular bolt is torqued to 205 newton-meters or approximately 150 foot-pounds.

I have a series of questions for you

First. What year is the jeep?

Its a 2008. I bought it new in September 2007 and currently have about 140K miles on it.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I posted in another thread about going 4 wheeling again which was after my repair so my welding, although ugly, is structurally sound.

If anyone cares, I use Loctite 243 on my suspension components and that particular bolt is torqued to 205 newton-meters or approximately 150 foot-pounds.

Its a 2008. I bought it new in September 2007 and currently have about 140K miles on it.
Very good! I thought It was new. That changes everything haha! Im looking into getting a 2024 one, but I know they don't make em like they used to.

I started off with a 2005 GC, then a 07 Liberty, and finally a 98 Cherokee.

Looking for a comparison for the new ones. haha.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Jeep people enjoy the hell out of tearing up their stuff. I used to have a neighbor that was always so damned happy when his Jeep would snap, break, bend, or throw something, so that he could pull out his tools and have something to do in his front yard.
Looks like you have a project there.
Yeah, this is pretty much me. Why pay somebody to fix it when I can blow a whole Saturday on a two hour job? My 2010 is notorious for having 5/6 of any disassembly go perfect. I chose the 5/6 fraction because 5 of the 6 spark plugs come out normally in my Jeep. You have to take off the inner fender liner to get at the 6th.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah, this is pretty much me. Why pay somebody to fix it when I can blow a whole Saturday on a two hour job? My 2010 is notorious for having 5/6 of any disassembly go perfect. I chose the 5/6 fraction because 5 of the 6 spark plugs come out normally in my Jeep. You have to take off the inner fender liner to get at the 6th.
Good to know!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My oldest daughter bought a Jeep. Next thing I know, all of my tools are at her place. Ha ha.
The day she got rid of that POS, was the day I got all of my tools back, and everyone was happy.
It's a jeep thing ....

An excuse I and all jeep owners love to use.

That noise? That's a jeep thing. Swaying side to side? That's just a jeep thing.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore