PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I recently bought a meer estate pipe. It had a cake build up in the bowl. So I decided to try to use a paper towel soaked in alcohol to soften the carbon and then remove the cake. I left the paper towel in the pipe over night to work. This morning the pipe is cracked.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Sorry to hear that. I though that alcohol softens meers. Next time use a knife and do not let a cake build up in a meer. It can crack them. You might try super glue to repair it.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
That is unusual... Though I wouldn't recommend an overnight soak of a Meerschaum in anything, this makes me wonder if the Meerschaum was Block or pressed Block. When cleaning up an estate Meerschaum, the cake can be removed using a sharp, blunt tipped knife or a Savinelli Fits-All-Reamer, followed by Everclear on a doubled over Pipe cleaner. A paper towel can be used to ream the remnants of the cake, as a last step in this process. I would not recommend using any glue or bonding agent to repair this cracked Pipe, as several compounds (possibly toxic)can be released in the smoke as the Pipe heats up during the smoke.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Thanks, I wondered to about the quality of the meer. I got the pipe with the cake built up in it. I can still use the pipe as is its not broken it just has visible cracks. I amust going to use it as a traveler to carry in my motorcycle so as not to risk any damage to my other pipes. I dont think I'll need any glue as it seemed to be quite strong when I finished cleaning it. I have several briars and several meers. I prefer to smoke from a meer, even though they are more maintanance. They seem to taste more pure. Long story short I am thinking this one is still useable (I don't care about image).

Status
Not open for further replies.