Brigham System with Star. Need Help Dating It.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
The pictures are poor. Batteries in camera are low. The star is clearly shown on the stem. Bottom of the shank states Brigham System. No other markings anywhere. I cannot find this pipe info anywhere! Even in Pipe Logo and Markings I cannot find it. Can anyone shed some light on it for me? Thanks in advance.
002-3.jpg

003.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Don't have a clue! I think you'd better write Brigham. Kevin probably has a contact at the company because he did an article on them a while back, and I think they were sponsors at one time.

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
So I did a bit of digging, apparently the "Brigham System" pipes with the star on the stem was produced around the early 1980s onwards to 2001 when they changed to a Maple Leaf. To be honest though, I find Brigham's history, concerning their markings a bit convoluted and confusing...
Anyways, in the 80s, apparently Brigham found the cost of production too high to produce a pipe for the budget conscious smoker, here. So they outsourced to Italy for the manufacture of the "Brigham System" Pipes to meet the demand for a more cost effective pipe as opposed to the pipes that we normally associate with Brigham, being made in Canada. Pretty much everything I've read say that these smoke exceptionally cool. Having never smoked one of them, I have no idea... In any case, I've written this before having my first morning coffee and pipe and I'm still a bit groggy! If anything is unclear let me know and I'll try to answer a bit better!(Preferably after a coffee and pipe!)

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
NS, I know I've found some documentation on "Brigham System" pipes somewhere - scouring the dregs of the net for you now. Just out of curiosity, is it a true "system" pipe with a well, like a Pete system; or is it the "Brigham System" rock-maple filter?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
schmitzbitz;
I have 3 other Brighams, all with the dot rating. However, the bowl on this estate one seems to be deeper than my others. It goes below the draught hole on this one. I am not quite sure if it is from use(previous owner scraping inside of bowl) or if it is designed that way. Important that I find out so that I may apply some pipe mud before using if that is the case. I just cannot find info at all on the star symbol on this Brig. Like my other 3, this one also takes the rockmaple filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.