PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

The search bar here won’t accept search terms shorter than 4 letters, so I had to resort to posting a thread. Sorry!

Does anyone here have a Briarworks C151XL Oom Paul, and if so, do you have a picture of it with a hand, object, or whatever for scale? It looks large, but the listed dimensions on SPC seem small, and I don’t really have a good sense of its size. Google searches haven’t come up with any candid shots of that particular pipe next to other objects I can use to estimate scale with. I’d appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Yep. Twice, a week apart or so. My emails seem to get stuck in their spam filter or something. It’s not just them, I have spotty luck at best with contact forms and emails.

That Google tip was useful, I got way more hits for Oom Paul pipe threads that way. Thanks!

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Oh, definitely, I prefer the “Bent Hungarian” term myself and only used “Oom Paul” because that’s what Briarworks calls it, and I didn’t want to confuse the squirrels powering Google’s search engine.

I thought they were completely different shapes until I came across an article on the history of that pipe shape a little while back, and I found it weird that the name “Oom Paul” stuck when there isn’t actually any hard evidence that there was an association with Paul Kruger.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure it is relevant, but I can recommend both sizes of Hungarian shape pipes. My large version is a Savinelli Hercules that swallows a lot of tobacco, and my small version is an Iwan Ries house pipe by Benton that is still fairly deep and can give a good length smoke with flake, coin, plug or rope. So if the size isn't exactly what you expect, it might prove to be a worthy addition to the rack. (I'm afraid both my Oom-Pauls are no longer made, and not that common as estates, I suspect.)

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Oh, yeah. I was looking to add more long-burning writing pipes to my collection. The Briarworks Hungarians have a 2 inch deep, 0.8” diameter chamber, and since my Moonshine Cannonballs’ chambers are 1.6” deep and 0.8” diameter, the Hungarian chamber size seemed decent enough to me. The overall size is a bit hard to pin down in a photo of just the pipe, so I can’t tell if I’m going to look like I’m smoking a saxophone or a *really* squished small straight billiard.

I found one photo with a hand in it suggesting that they’re roughly 7 inches tall and 4 inches long, which seems to be on the smaller side for that shape, but that’s based on an assumption that the hand is an average sized hand.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry; used a term offensive to someone in describing Paul Kruger. He was a rascist and a nasty person, not the offspring of a female dog.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Well, update time. Got mine in today. It's both smaller and bigger than I expected all at the same time, and I'm of the mind they probably should call it the Oompauloompa.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"My name is Raymond J. Johnson Jr. Now you can call me Ray, or you can call me J, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me Junie, or you can call me Junior; now you can call me Ray J, or you can call me RJ, or you can call me RJJ, or you can call me RJJ Jr. . .but you doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

• Haha
Reactions: Misanthrope

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I'm not sure it is relevant, but I can recommend both sizes of Hungarian shape pipes. My large version is a Savinelli Hercules that swallows a lot of tobacco, and my small version is an Iwan Ries house pipe by Benton that is still fairly deep and can give a good length smoke with flake, coin, plug or rope. So if the size isn't exactly what you expect, it might prove to be a worthy addition to the rack. (I'm afraid both my Oom-Pauls are no longer made, and not that common as estates, I suspect.)
I have a recent Savinelli Hercules. You’re right about it swallowing a lot of tobacco! Is it no longer made? I must have gotten it in the last few years but time does fly!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen a few other Hercules in inventory, but not the Hungarian, though I suppose it could resurface.

• Wow
Reactions: ofafeather

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Okay, I’ve spent a little time with it.

I’m very pleased with how well it smokes, the packing advice for tall bowls that I found here was spot on (dry, loose, don’t overtamp).

The stem could stand to be a bit shorter, though, since it hangs so far down that it hits my chest when I move my head or lean forward. Basically, if they made it hang like a Moonshine Cannonball, it’d be perfect.

It passes a pipe cleaner easily when using the “bend tip slightly, insert until it stops, then twist 180 degrees” trick, but you’ll want to use a 9 inch cleaner, not a normal size cleaner.

I managed to make it gurgle slightly at a couple points during a bowl of Prince Albert, but it wasn’t as bad as I feared it might be. Overall, it’s a fairly decent pipe.