Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MC43.

Lurker
May 21, 2024
Peterson yes, I was wondering if they were really around in late 1860s or was it mainly clay pipes that were used?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
mainly clay pipes that were used?
I would guess that all tobacco was smoked in clay pipes afore briar root became the norm for pipes no matter where you were geographically.

As for when briar pipes made it into Ireland, perhaps looking at trade directories might shed some light as these were published annually.

Jay.

Reactions: Streeper541

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
There are quite a few resources available in print and online regarding the history of pipe making. Briar pipes most commonly trace their historical origins to St. Claude, France in or around the mid-1850's.

The Kapp brothers formally established a pipe business in Dublin in 1866. They are first listed as sellers of meerschaum pipes, but by 1876 when Charles Peterson joined the team they were well into production of briar pipes. Prior to the Kapp & Peterson pipes, most Irishmen would've used clay or bog oak pipes as those were the materials most readily available for pipe making as Briar is not native to Ireland.

Hope that helps answer your question. I've put a couple links below that you might find to be interesting reads.

History of the Peterson Pipe

The Advent of the Briar Pipe

A Brief History of Irish Pipes

Al Pacia.com - Detailed History of PIpes & Tobacco (Several Part Series)

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'm curious what the oldest date-hallmarked briar is that anyone here has seen (from any maker). K&P were the the first Dublin shop to make briar pipes, and it remained that way until at least the late 1800's. There was at least one shop selling pipes made by British pipe-makers, as early as 1891, but it wasn't that common from what I can tell.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Just worth adding to the above that many Irish men and women (and British men and women) would have continued using clays well into the beginning half of the 1900s, especially the working class.

Presumably there were also other briar pipe distributers and makers besides Peterson (although admittedly I'm struggling to think of any).

Reactions: mawnansmiff

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Going through my spreadsheet, the earliest date-hallmarked briar I have is an 1896 Peterson that I recently acquired. I have some briars that I suspect are 1880's, but don't have date hallmarks.

Great - now I have another white whale to look for :(

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Going through my spreadsheet, the earliest date-hallmarked briar I have is an 1896 Peterson that I recently acquired. I have some briars that I suspect are 1880's, but don't have date hallmarks.

Great - now I have another white whale to look for :(
I've got briars hallmarked in the 1880s and one from the 1870s (not a Pete).

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Well, you know the forum rule: pics or it didn't happen! :sher:
Here is a BBB that appears to be hallmarked in 1876. Although having pulled this one out again, I'm a little confused by it. Simply because to me I would think it was later based on style, style of the case etc. I will try and look into the 'Sharman's Patent'.

17164028047496424670403500121563.jpg1716402854772888713019522086558.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Just worth adding to the above that many Irish men and women (and British men and women) would have continued using clays well into the beginning half of the 1900s, especially the working class.
Of interest or maybe of no interest at all to today's ladies, but up until the first World war, pipes & specifically clay pipes were quite the norm among the women folk. Ladies seen smoking cigarettes were regarded as 'a bit racy' or 'sluttish'. That all changed with the huge growth & expansion of the tobacco houses, post ww1. Damned shame if you ask me, the gals of the roaring 20's with their bullcap pipes, dresses and hats, certainly had a certain style. Alas, not even the finest tobaccos back then could match the ease & addictive qualities of the cigarette.

Just to add that the above is not a personal opinion but one gathered reading about the social history of the day.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here is a BBB that appears to be hallmarked in 1876. Although having pulled this one out again, I'm a little confused by it. Simply because to me I would think it was later based on style, style of the case etc. I will try and look into the 'Sharman's Patent'.

View attachment 312101View attachment 312102
Yeah, the hallmark should be oval and it should have the queen hallmark as well. Don't know what that means.