PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Does weight affect the smoking qualitys of a briar pipe . The pipes I tend to reach for are on the heavy side with thick walls . But then again Iam a holder not a clencher .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I like fat pipes.

I have both thin and thick walled pipes.

The thin get a little warm to hold sometimes, don't have that issue with thick walls.

But, I'm a clincher because I'm ususally doing something with my hands.

Typing, reading (holding the book/not braile), etc.

All of my stems have teeth marks, and I have bitten through several stems over the years.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'll speculate that for a given mass light weight briar has fewer oils and resins in the wood, therefore more absorbency. I suppose that makes them better smokers, or less susceptible to souring. I dunno. Somewhere in Ehwa's The Book of Pipes and Tobacco I read that straight grain briar is lighter than either mixed grain or bald wood. I have an inexpensive dead root briar, prized for its naturally cured dryness and ultralight weight. After the first 50 or so smokes it didn't smoke any better than pipes ⅓ the cost.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I added the R for you, lol.
I'm not too sure if the weight affects the technical smoking quality of a pipe. But I will say that some pipes that have really thin walls can heat up quite a bit and take some of the pleasure from the smoking experience, for me anyway.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
OK so what constitutes a "featherweight". How is it mad elighter? Thiner walls? More porous briar?
anyone...anyone?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I don't know how to define it but to me a featherweight is just that when compared to other pipes of similar size. I think it is more porous briar. I have similarly sized group 6 and ODA sized pipes and of the 6 or 7 or them, 2 of them weight more than the others. More porous briar is the only way I can explain it.

doogey

Lurker
Feb 7, 2010
For what it's worth, I own a Savinelli Extra 316KS. I picked it up at the Newark Pipe Show a few weeks ago. It's a light weight pot that's an absolute pleasure to smoke and has become my favorite pipe. It smokes cool and dry, it's easy to clean and has seemingly perfect balance.

pipemaker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2010
I have'nt seen any difference betwee light and heavy pipes except thicker pipes don't heat up as fast as lighter pipes briar is a very dence wood so the only "pores" I'm aware of is sand pits and defects. Don't buy into marketing gents. Lighter pipes mean less briar and more pipes for th manufacturer. Bob Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.