PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

illius

Lurker
Mar 17, 2010
Hello, hello. Well today was my birthday and my friend had picked up a 14$ briar pipe at the local smoke shop. Its nice, a bent pipe, with light colored grain with some 3 or 4 dark rigid grooves in the wood. I thought it was a good buy because it was not the traditional dark red, or darker grained wood. Well after about 3 bowls smoking out of it I looked at it to admire it a bit and noticed where my fingers have ben it is gaining a....Almost fireorange coloring. Is this normal? Ive never seen a briar do this. then again ive never had a light grain colored pipe. To be more specific. its almost as light as 2x4 ply wood, but with light dark grain accents. I might post a picture up later. But the orange looks nice.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I would guess your pipe has not been waxed and the color change is from the oils in your skin. Is it normal? For an unwaxed pipe, yes.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Are you sure the pipe is made of briar? Some of the pipe companies have been selling unfinished pipes--"Naturals" or "Virgin" I think they are called.No Stain etc.Chuck is right-if there is no wax on the pipe it will absorb oils from your hands.

I've heard that some folks would rub their pipes against the side of their nose to rub oil from their skin into the briar.

illius

Lurker
Mar 17, 2010
I had that thought aswell, but the pipe has that glass sheen to it like Briars normally do. So I do think it has ben waxed. The only other thing I can think it might be is maybe some kind of thing with the wax. Almost like a meerschaum pipe, how it changes colors with use from the oils in the hands. But on a briar? I might just end up asking the person at the smoke shop. But even if for some reason im looking at the pipe wrong and there is no finish on it, would it change orange? I know there is no stain on it, it looks like natural wood. It feels and looks waxed, lets put it that way.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some pix would really help. But if it smokes well, at $14.00,

some discoloration is a small price to pay. (Sure is a mystery, though.)

illius

Lurker
Mar 17, 2010
Thanks for the replys. No, there is no coloring on my fingers. And there was nothing on my fingers when I had touched the pipe. I dont have a camera at the moment but should have one by wed.So I will throw a picture up so you guys dont think im crazy. My thought is it was meant to color, but I dont know for sure.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Can't wait to see the pics of this one. Should be interesting. I am thinking the same as chuck on this one.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have two pipes that I bought in the early seventies with only a wax finish. They are now dark brown from years of smoking and handling. Started out a lovely briar pinkish color.

Status
Not open for further replies.