PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Definitely! Picking up the pipe made me a much better cigar smoker.

Keep your pace slow, take in the smoke lightly until you feel an adequate amount, then push it out your mouth, and at the end retro hale. You should usually be able to taste some difference or addition to the flavor profile. Some cigars don't really have a retro hale flavor.

The breathe method also helps me as long as I keep inhaling shortly through the nose as I take the cigar away from my mouth. For some reason it adds a burst of flavor right as I finish my draw.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
My cigar smoking method has evolved over the years, but it works well for me. I am a double puffer in that I take a quick, short "priming puff," followed by a longer deeper puff which lets the smoke linger on the palate and when I exhale, I do so in combination with a healthy retrohale. I also rotate the cigar with each puff about 90-180 degrees.

Probably the most important thing is I space out my puffs. I puff about once every minute. Sometimes there will be a 90 second or 2 minute gap, but rarely less than a minute. That is enough to keep it lit and burning well, but keeps the cigar cool and flavorful.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I picked up some Montecristo's from Duty Free two weeks ago and smoked my first yesterday. I tried the retrohale, which was good, but I think I still prefer wafting the smoke towards my nose.

I'm getting different flavours when retrohaling and when 'sniffing' the smoke. I thought this might possibly be because there are different receptors in the front and the back of the nasal cavity. Flavours on the retrohale are more muddled to me.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
lol this reminds me of the time I as puffing on a CAO Brazilia and accidentally deep inhaled a large wad of cigar smoke; Buy oh boy did I get a head rush - luckily I wasn't coughing and did not become sick. The only other time was once I was a bit tipsy - smoking semois out of a turkish meer and accidentally inhaled - said I can get use to this and continued to get high as hell on the 'cigarette' train.

Reactions: danimalia

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Years ago in my 20s I had a cigar with my 2 cousins at a bar... my one cousin turned 21 at the time. I smoked cigarretes at the time so i was inhaling the cigar like a cigarrete... man did i feel that in my chest that night.

No inhaling now, but I do retrohale all the time, big difference in tasting the cigar, even in the back of the throat...

Status
Not open for further replies.