PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

soren

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
Well, I should be getting my new pipe soon. Its been years since I broke in my Falcon briar bowl, and I dont remember much about that time anyhow since I spent it in a haze most of the time (early 20's). I used to line it with a bit of honey and have fill it. Ill probably do the same for the new pipe.
Question is, how many 'half' smokes do you think generally makes a pipe 'broken in'?

adauria

Lurker
Mar 29, 2010
I've never done the honey coat thing. It usually takes 5-10 (closer to 5), but I agree that it is a "feel thing."
-Andrew

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I load it to the top and smoke it slowly too. If it gets hot, I set it down and let it go out and cool to room temprature then re-light it.

fgutiga

Lurker
Apr 14, 2010
Seville (SPAIN)
The preparation of the new pipe is one of many arguments that divide us pipe smokers, and has views both for and against.
Opinions ranged from those who say that nothing must be made to the pipe before smoking it, that nothing should stand between wood and snuff (Giorgio Savinelli, Giuseppe Bozzini, Joan Bonet Nadal, Pierre Sabagh, Liebaert & Maya, Baldo Peroni, José Maria Lozano Irueste, Ramón Sampol, Antonio Campisi, Sydney P. Ram), who proposed instead more treatments varied from spreads inside the bowl with honey, jam, olive oil ... or scraping the walls with paper sand to facilitate the grip of the crust, or fill the bowl with brandy, grappa, rum or any alcoholic beverage and let soak a certain time (Richard Carleton Hacker, Charles Graves, H. Paul Jeffers, Georges Hermes, Beaumier & Lewis ...). There are also those who think like the first but look good in certain circumstances some form of treatment, every one of his clear (as Alfred H. Dunhill, Robin Crol, William Goldring and Enrico de Gregorio).
In the case of honey, even those who openly acknowledge that the proposed establishment of the crust is more fragile and delicate that if not used, so that sometimes tends to break loose and be a hole in the crust of the walls of stove, with the risk. What is certain that its use facilitates rapid growth of the same pipe and prevents the burn in the first puffs. That is why the pipes used by some manufacturers, notably Italy (Viprati and Pesaro School: Mastro de Paja, Don Carlos, Ser Jacopo, L'Anatra, ...), it obviously have less returns for pipes burned.
Personally I prefer not to impregnate the heather with substances of any kind that are not aromas of snuff, but I admit that sometimes I use honey in particular cases (straight grain pipes that by the arrangement of the grain are more likely to burn, and pipes very thin delicate walls of the stove). Other methods I have not ever used: oil, jam ... far from filling the stove with any alcoholic beverage (liquids close the pores and the pipe must "breathe").
Greetings and good smoke,

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Isn't it amazing how "experts" can not even agree on how to break in a pipe? My theory is "If it works for you , it must be right (for you ) "

Status
Not open for further replies.