PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SSGT.

Lurker
Jul 7, 2024
I started smoking a pipe a couple years ago. first pipe was a cheap cobb, graduated to Meerschaums which I love for their smoke ability, the way my eagle claw looks and the pleasure it gives to watch it color. but miss the cob. I just got a Missouri Meershaum Huck Finn, and really know nothing about proper break in. my first cob I just filled it and went to smoking and it seemed to be fine, but have read on this site about the break in period, any advice would be great.

Reactions: PaulRVA

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I started smoking a pipe a couple years ago. first pipe was a cheap cobb, graduated to Meerschaums which I love for their smoke ability, the way my eagle claw looks and the pleasure it gives to watch it color. but miss the cob. I just got a Missouri Meershaum Huck Finn, and really know nothing about proper break in. my first cob I just filled it and went to smoking and it seemed to be fine, but have read on this site about the break in period, any advice would be great.
I don't think cobs need a break in period and like meerschaums, you don't want to build a cake in the chamber.

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I think that you're supposed to lend it to a ne'er-do-well for a fortnight and change the stem when you take it back. The American Way.

Reactions: SSGT.

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Recommend smoking full bowls but never hot. No cake in a cob that I've seen. Maybe a little. But heat will affect the pipes construction more so as some pipes like MM have a glued in plug plus plaster filling which could be affected by excess heat. So I just make sure to go easy.

Reactions: SSGT.

khiddy

Might Stick Around
There's not a "break-in period" like you will find with a briar, but the first few smokes may be a bit rough as you burn away the portion of the wooden shank that extends into the bowl. It's just wood that you're burning, so it's not toxic or bad, just not 100% tobacco. After a few smokes (3-5 or so), that process will be complete and it'll be smooth sailing.

Happy piping!