PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

love2smoke

Lurker
Jan 1, 2014
from one newbie to another, head over to smokingpipes.com and order a bunch of different aromatics in bulk. An ounce is more than enough for testing and its super cheap to order in bulk so if you end up with one you're not too fond of no big loss. Nothing sucks more than spending $20 on a tin and finding out its not something you enjoy. If its vanilla you're after give MacBaren Vanilla Cream a try!

Jan 8, 2013
Biggest problem your gonna face is the shipping laws here in WA. You cant have any tobacco sent to you in this state. Its ridiculous. However, Im not far away, at Fort Lewis, and I have a pretty large selection thanks to another forum member who brought me a bunch of stuff while he was in town. If you want, we could link up one Saturday, you can sample to your hearts content.

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
So I was able to check out rain city cigar last week. They hooked me up with one of thier vanilla blends and a honey blend. They are quite a bit better than the sutliff. No ashy cigarett taste untill the end of the bowl. The honey is kinda growing on me. Next time im gonna try their rain city reserve. Its supposed to be a 1q clone. I plan on ordering a few from tinderbox. It looks like I can order from thier website. So would it be a good idea to jump into some mild english blends. From what I have read they have a ton more flavor.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
You might give Frog Morton Celler a try. It's tinned with a chared whiskey barrell stave so it has a nice smokey note. It goes really well with a good bourbon!

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
As a newbee, I wouldn't jump right into English blends, particularly if you're going for that nostalgic smoke; that often comes from aromatic tobaccos. Pipe tobacco is a lot like wine in more ways than one. In terms of tastings, it's probably a good idea to become accustom to one genre before moving to another.
All of the advice about which tobaccos to get next are great, but the fact is it takes a long time to really understand the flavors of tobacco. When I first started up with the pipe, everything tasted like ash. That was due to poor technique as much as my being a novice. All the pipe videos in the world can't beat the process of trial and error. Use them as a guide, but know that you'll still get things wrong; however eventually, if you stick with it, you'll get things right.
Here is how the process worked for me:
Initially, I smoked a lot of aromatics. Slowly I was able to detect "something" going on. Next I moved to VaPers, which actually helped me understand aros better because I had something to compare. The thing is, I had to get my fill of aromatic tobaccos first. Then I went to English tobaccos; straight VAs after that; cigar blends after that. At first I was only able to discern the difference between blend "genres," but couldn't tell the difference between, say Frog Morton and Nightcap. I'm six years in and still learning the subtle nuances of tobacco flavors. I can really notice and appreciate the flavors of a good blend like Penzance, Stonehaven, Mac Baren's Vanilla Flake, Red VA Superb and so on. Finding these great tobaccos also helps me understand others because I'm developing a flavor profile, a set of reference points. All of this comes with time. It probably took me 100 smokes before I said, "wait a minute, I think something just happened..."

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Welcome guys...lots of good info given...your local tobacconist should allow you to "sample" a bowl of different bulk blends as your experimenting with your preferences....if you talk with them and explain what you are looking for, they should offer you a free bowl to sample....give them your feed back and if you like it, buy an ounce or two....if they understand what good customer service is all about, then they will gladly help you, knowing you will buy tobacco from them...if they aren't willing to let you sample a bowl of some of their bulk blends before purchasing, then find a new tobacconist..

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
braumeister:
Great Outdoors is nothing like cigarettes. It's an aromatic with a strong anise presence. I rarely smoke aromatics, but it's one I do enjoy.
I'm wondering if part of the issue is that you're just starting out and need to educate your palate. I mean, after all, you are smoking tobacco. It will taste like tobacco. If you want something that actually tastes like dessert and has no tobacco presence whatsoever, then you'd really be better off just having dessert and skipping the pipe. But by "educating your palate," I'm talking about getting some time and experience with your pipe and a variety of tobacco blends. Because I've never encountered a pipe tobacco that actually tasted or smelled like cigarettes; I fear you may be saying "cigarettes" when you really just mean "tobacco." And it may be that you simply don't like the taste or aroma of tobacco.
I personally would never dissuade a beginner from jumping into English and other non-aromatic blends. Too many, I think, believe you have to start with aromatics and then "work your way up." Not at all. In fact, I think non-aromatics present fewer issues with regard to excess moisture or tongue bite or flavor that disappears halfway down the bowl -- some of the things that make starting out so frustrating for so many.
I'd suggest picking up tins of GLPease Caravan, MacBaren Roll Cake, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Butera Dark Stoved, Rattray Old Gowrie, Dunhill London Mixture. All of these are very high-quality blends that will each deliver quite different flavors/experiences. At this point, it doesn't matter if you don't understand all the differences between these blends or what their respective "styles" are (since each represents a different style of tobacco). You're just tasting, exploring, figuring out what you like and don't like. These are also blends that are very easy to find at any of the online vendors.
Bob

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
One of the things i like most about this hobby is the fact that there are soooooo many different tobacco blends and types to try. Keep researching and visiting local B&M tobacconists to seek out new types to experiment with and sample. Eventually, you will find your palate and what suits your senses the most. Welcome and good luck!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Also, you made a step in the right direction by joining the forum. Even though i have only just recently joined, i have lurked around for a while just researching and gathering information on pipe smoking to get better at it and avoid classic rookie mistakes that most make when starting out. There really is a plethora of knowledge offered by the fine folks on this forum, as well as other forums and websites as well, so take advantage of it. As my journey into the hobby continues and i get more experienced, i want to pay it forward and help out others like i have been helped both directly and indirectly. it all comes back around, brother! happy smoking!

IslandCobFog

Lurker
Feb 28, 2014
Friday Harbor, WA
Ok. Just finished my first bowl of the local b&ms english/oriental blend. All I can say is wow what have I been missing! Loving the smokeyness. I cant wait to try smoke another bowl of it. And cant wait to try some other blends. I picked up their version of 1q tjey call is rain city reserve. It was also very enjoyable but I think I smoked it too fast cause my moth is still a little tender after that one.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Bob is so right about trying anything as a beginner - aro, VA, English, anything.
Your experience sounds not unlike mine. I've tried more blends than you have, but the first time I had a "WOW!" moment was the first time I sparked up a Latakia (i.e. English) blend (Dunhill My Mixture 965). THAT is what I was wanting through all the aros, Virginias and other stuff I'd been trying. Keep trying, this is a fun journey.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
welcome! First of all... smoking a pipe and smelling a pipe are completely different. A lot of people get disappointed because they want that "grandpa's pipe smell" but dont achieve it because it's different when you are the smoker. It honestly took me a year or so before I found out what I really liked and to be able to differentiate different tobaccos and taste the differences between different leafs. Dont give up. Keep shopping around and trying all different kinds of blends and pipes. Pipe smoking makes you work for the satisfaction. Keeping it lit, packing, and tasting the distinct flavors all come with practice and time. But once you perfect it, it is a great feeling! Good luck and welcome to the forum.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Brau,
Welcome to the forums. You are already way ahead of the game by having a cob and sampling various tobaccos. I also thought I wanted something sweet and aromatic, but coming from maduro cigars and being in a local pipe club I was able to be introduced into some great English blends. I went from 1-Q to loving PS Proper English, Dunhill EMP, and GLP Charring Cross. I have since migrated into being a flake collector, but that is what makes this hobby so much fun.
Hang out often and you will definitely learn a lot.
Cheers,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.