PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This popped up on my Amazon page and was marked down to $3.82 for the Kindle version, so I took the plunge.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006TDSD38/ref=docs-os-doi_0
It was published in 2012 and is apparently a collection of older writings.
I'd not heard of this one.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Bwahahaha so there's a rule about the "right" way to strike a match, eh? Funny thing is, every time I think about all the cultism over "codger" blends and corncobs, I think back to my childhood and recall that most of the pipe-smoking codgers I knew probably never read a book. And the ones who smoked cobs probably couldn't.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
There's nothing better than finally getting a match to light, after it broke to about a tenth of its size! Ouch.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
It's a book of very entertaining nonsense; a long run-on sentence that doesn't really come to any conclusion or point, but tells a story of sorts. I own the original printing. The pictures are comical, but at the end of the day this isn't a book that's going to teach you anything practical about pipe smoking (if that's what you're looking for).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Dan, I'm a plane in the next few days which includes a layover, I figured for $3, it would while away a little of that time.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Dan, I'm a plane in the next few days which includes a layover, I figured for $3, it would while away a little of that time.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The piles of broken matches on my front porch attests that there may be more than one way to strike a match unsuccessfully. [:puffy:]
Keeping 3 fingers on it helps (but you have to be quick getting the ring finger out of harm's way when it fires up ;) ). I think though that like a lot of things, the quality of matches has gone downhill. They rarely fire on the first strike, and the sticks seem a lot flimsier than I remember. Those old strike-anywhere kitchen matches can't be beat.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I think though that like a lot of things, the quality of matches has gone downhill.
I agree! My wife thinks I'm obsessed with finding the right box of matches in town. Those popular green and blue tip matches spark like crazy and burn too hot and fast for my liking.
I have an Old Boy [Room 101] that does more than a decent job, but some pipes just deserve a lil' somethin' better. Cigar matches work well... you know, for those pipe smokers who drive Porsches and shovel caviar. There is still one grocery store in town that sells the ol' penny matches, and I prefer those when I can get them... ... Of course, I'm keeping an eye open, looking out for Swan Vestas; I would really like to try those sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.